Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
What if predicting infectious disease spread was as common and accepted as weather forecasting? What if we can predict who will develop diseases and conditions before they occur? How can we apply data science to equalize healthcare for everyone?
These are the types of questions that we continually ask ourselves. Our aim is to apply data science to really tough problems in order to save lives. Our world class team of scientists, clinicians, statisticians, engineers with partners in academia and industry are leaning into these and other challenges. We are looking for data scientists to join us on our journey. Do you want to work on things that have direct, tangible impact on peoples’ health? We invite you to join our team and find out how meaningful work can be.
To know more about Optum Technology, select this video.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within United States as you take on some tough challenges.
- Apply advanced statistical and predictive modeling techniques to build, maintain, and improve on multiple predictive engines in infectious disease epidemiology
- Design and use sampling methodology, prepare data, including data cleaning, multi-variate analysis, apply appropriate analytic and statistical methodology, develop predictive models, use visualization techniques, and document process and results
- Propose innovative ways to look at problems using data mining, statistical analysis and machine learning
- Communicate findings, verbally and visually, to business partners and clients
- Provide on-going tracking and monitoring of performance of statistical models and recommend ongoing improvements to methods and algorithms
- Seek out new data sources and verify integrity of data that fill gaps and improve models
- Support business needs around analytics, predictive modeling and business intelligence
- Cross-train and mentor team members and interns on software skills, data sources and other work aspects
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in developing analytics with machine learning, deep learning, NLP, and/or other related modeling techniques
- 3+ years of experience using advanced data science tools such as R, Python, SQL, Spark and H2O
- 3+ years of experience developing and deploying analytic solutions using AWS/Azure/GCP
- 3+ years of experience wrangling large datasets with big data tools such as Hadoop, Hive and Spark
- BS, Master's or Ph.D. degree in computer science, applied mathematics, (bio) statistics, applied statistics, economics, or similar quantitative fields of study
- Experience with health care data
- Experience with SQL, Python, Hadoop (MapReduce, PIG, Hive, Spark), R, H2O, or equivalent
- UI design experience for automated and-or end-user-interactive visualizations, displays or reports based on the models’ outcomes (for example using Tableau, PowerBI)
- Experience with Version Control (for example Git Version Control system)
- Working knowledge and understanding of medical coding, including ICD, CPT, DRG, etc.
UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination status.
Technology Careers with Optum. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $79,700 to $142,600. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Senior Data Scientist, Data Science, Telecommute, Telecommuting, Telecommuter, Work From Home, Work At Home, Remote