Wissahickon Charter School is seeking a 6th Grade Apprentice Teacher for our Awbury campus. The Apprentice Teacher position is a wonderful opportunity for recent graduates or career changers who are looking for a pathway into the teaching profession. Candidates currently enrolled in or recently graduated from teacher education programs are strongly encouraged to apply. This position provides invaluable classroom experience and professional development. Experience as an Apprentice Teacher for one to two years is great preparation for becoming a lead teacher in the future.
- Plan collaboratively with two 6th grade teachers across all subject areas
- Partner with lead teachers to implement curriculum and utilize classroom routines and procedures with consistency
- Provide one-on-one and small group instruction to students in the 6th grade for additional academic support
- Work closely with lead teachers to assess, track and analyze student progress
- Participate in on-going professional development
- Lead a teaching elective, special, and/or study hall
- Substitute teach when a lead 6th grade teacher is out
- As instructional skills gradually increase, may be responsible for providing whole group instruction to students in select subjects
- Complete administrative duties as necessary (data entry, homework review, filing, copying, etc.)
- Support intake, dismissal and transitions between classes
- Accompany the students to recess and/or help monitor indoor recess as needed
- Assist lead teachers and/or the Middle School Principal with other responsibilities as requested
- Bachelor's degree required
- Experience working with adolescents, in a school setting preferred
- All required FBI & PA clearances and compliance with all of WCS' COVID-19 safety protocols
- Reflective and open to feedback and coaching
- Appreciation of the unique strengths and challenges of adolescents
- Ability to work with a variety of colleagues who have diverse teaching and organizational styles
- Willingness to speak openly and honestly about issues of race and equity and to work to dismantle white supremacist culture
- Interest in the mission of Wissahickon Charter School, and a belief that all children can learn
This is a full time, 10-month position with a salary of $40,000 plus 100% employer-paid benefits (medical, dental and vision) for the employee and any spouse or dependents.
About Wissahickon Charter School
Wissahickon Charter School's first campus, Fernhill, opened in 2002 and serves 480 K-8 students from across Philadelphia. Our second K-8 campus, Awbury, opened in the fall of 2014. The mission of Wissahickon Charter School (WCS) is to provide a community of learning that stimulates and builds the child's intellectual, social, and character development. Wissahickon Charter Schools are planned around three essential elements: an environmental focus that allows students to experience the curriculum, recognition of service learning projects as key in students' success, and an emphasis on parents as partners in the learning experiences of their children.
How to Apply
To be considered, visit our website at http://wissahickoncharter.org/join-our-team and click on the Apply Now button. Please note that a cover letter and resume are required.
Wissahickon Charter School is committed to hiring a diverse staff and encourages those from traditionally under-represented backgrounds to apply. Wissahickon Charter School does not discriminate in hiring or employment, or in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, or other programs.