At PNC, our people are our greatest differentiator and competitive advantage in the markets we serve. We are all united in delivering the best experience for our customers. We work together each day to foster an inclusive workplace culture where all our employees feel respected, valued, and have an opportunity to contribute to the company’s success. As a Senior Counsel, Commercial Banking within PNC's Business & Finance Legal Group (B&F Legal), you will be based in Pittsburgh, PA, Philadelphia, PA, Chicago, IL, Phoenix, AZ, Houston, TX, Atlanta, GA, Charlotte, NC, Boston, MA, Birmingham, AL, or Los Angeles, CA; additional locations within PNC’s footprint and remote US locations will be considered.
PNC’s Business & Finance Legal Group (B&F Legal) is a team of approximately 70 attorneys and paralegals within PNC’s legal department with lawyers in several locations, including many located in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, PA. The Commercial Banking Group, a unit within B&F Legal, is seeking a senior-level corporate/commercial lending attorney to support PNC’s Corporate and Institutional Banking line of business.
In this role, the Senior Counsel will provide broad and varied legal guidance and support, such as: providing legal advice and support to loan product managers, relationship managers, credit officers, paralegals and documentation specialists on commercial lending matters of varying complexity; collaborating with clients and colleagues to improve internal processes and enhance efficiency consistent with PNC’s risk framework while also delivering a positive customer experience; advising internal loan administrators and operations support areas regarding ongoing administration of loans, including collateral, booking and other servicing issues; training internal clients and partners; selecting and overseeing services of approved outside counsel; drafting, reviewing and/or negotiating loan documents relating to all types of commercial loan transactions; maintaining standard commercial loan forms; and collaborating with the lines of business to spot and resolve issues associated with the development of new initiatives, products and services.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and credentials:
• J.D. degree from an accredited law school
• Currently licensed to practice in the courts of one or more states
• A minimum of eight years of experience with secured transactions and related commercial lending laws
• Meaningful experience representing financial services companies in middle market and large corporate commercial lending transactions, both bilateral and syndicated
• Excellent business judgment, sound decision-making and solid problem-solving and legal analytical skills
• Ability to think strategically to identify trends and risks, and ability to facilitate and implement solutions
• Ability to effectively communicate at all levels of the organization, both orally and in writing
• Self-starter with ability to work both independently and collaboratively, as appropriate
• Strong time-management and organizational skills
• Familiarity with cross-border, letter of credit or securitization transactions a plus
• Familiarity with Treasury Management products a plus
- Identifies and manages legal risk for the organization.
- Performs significant and complex legal work and regularly interacts with management.Oversees legal research, analysis, consultation and documentation within a framework of legal compliance and risk management.
- Leads outside counsel relationships and manages expenses.
- Networks with outside organizations to advance legal interests and legal health of the corporation and its industry.
PNC Employees take pride in our reputation and to continue building upon that we expect our employees to be:
- Customer Focused - Knowledgeable of the values and practices that align customer needs and satisfaction as primary considerations in all business decisions and able to leverage that information in creating customized customer solutions.
- Managing Risk - Assessing and effectively managing all of the risks associated with their business objectives and activities to ensure they adhere to and support PNC's Enterprise Risk Management Framework.
Business Ethics – Knowledge of practices, behaviors, applicable laws, rules, and regulations governing proper business conduct; ability to demonstrate ethical behavior in diverse situations.
Decision Making and Critical Thinking – Understanding of the issues related to the decision-making process; ability to analyze situations fully and accurately, and reach productive decisions.
Effective Communications – Understanding of effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors.
External Resource Management – Ability to effectively manage the utilization of external services (e.g., product or platform vendors, service providers, contractors, consultants, outsourced functions).
Influencing – Knowledge of effective influencing tactics and strategies; ability to impact decisions within and outside own organization.
Legal Analysis – Knowledge of and ability to read, interpret and draw accurate conclusions from both legal and factual information.
Legal Function – Knowledge of the major responsibilities, accountabilities, and organization of the legal function or department; ability to provide legal consulting, advice and assistance.
Negotiating – Knowledge of successful negotiation concepts and techniques; ability to negotiate successfully across the organization and with external vendors and clients in a constructive and collaborative manner.
Roles at this level typically require a university / college degree. Higher level education such as a Masters degree, or PhD is desirable. Industry experience is typically 8 + years. Specific certifications are often required.
Additional Job Description
PNC offers employees a comprehensive range of benefits to help meet your needs now and in the future. Depending on your eligibility, options for full-time employees include medical/prescription drug coverage (with a Health Savings Account feature); dental and vision options; employee and spouse/child life insurance; short- and long-term disability protection; maternity and parental leave; paid holidays, vacation days and occasional absence time; 401(k), pension and stock purchase plans; dependent care reimbursement account; back-up child/elder care; adoption assistance; educational assistance and a robust wellness program with financial incentives. To learn more about these and other programs, including benefits for part-time employees, visit pncbenefits.com > New to PNC.
Disability Accommodations Statement:
The PNC workplace is inclusive and supportive of individual needs. If you have a physical or other impairment that might require an accommodation, including technical assistance with the PNC Careers website or submission process, please call 877-968-7762 and select Option 4: Recruiting or contact us via email at [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].
The Human Resources Service Center hours of operation are Monday - Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
PNC provides equal employment opportunity to qualified persons regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or other categories protected by law.
Refer to the California Consumer Privacy Act Privacy Notice to gain understanding of how PNC may use or disclose your personal information in our hiring practices.