Reporting to the General Manager, Restaurant Managers are responsible for the supervision of approximately 15 - 20 crew members, proper execution of the restaurant operations on their assigned shift, providing guests with a great dining experience, and upholding service and quality standards. Along with 1 2 other peer Restaurant Managers and/or Hourly Supervisors, Restaurant Managers will support the General Manager who has total accountability for the success of the restaurant. Restaurant Managers will be required to work day and night shifts, weekends, and holidays as the schedules are rotated. Additional responsibilities include focus on employee selection and retention, continuous operational improvement, understanding profit and loss statements, operating plans, and costs. Restaurant Managers must have a strong commitment to guest satisfaction and exhibit RJC Principles and Values when interacting with others.
These are areas of performance in which the Restaurant Manager must be successful to meet their accountabilities:
- Guests: Makes sure that all employees put Guests First to ensure a respectful and enjoyable environment, satisfied guests, and repeat business. Coaches all employees on addressing guest complaints promptly
- Emphasizes the importance of following the Guests First Cycle
- Role models the Manager On the Floor and At the Door philosophy
- People: Works with the General Manager to attract, hire, develop, coach, and retain hourly employees to ensure an engaged, high-performing team. Does so by:
- Working to create and maintain a respectful and enjoyable environment for our employees.
- Promoting and maintaining a harassment free environment by encouraging open communication at all levels
- Assisting effectively with recruiting and selecting.
- Using corporate training programs, individual development plans, and work assignments to develop employees knowledge and skills.
- Providing timely, constructive coaching and feedback.
- Restaurant Operations: Directs shift operations to ensure that all standards are met to optimize the guest experience.
- Maintains proper staffing levels and schedules
- Monitors the Guests First cycle to ensure timeliness of service is maintained
- Restaurant Sanitation: Assists the General Manager by overseeing assigned shifts to ensure that Dennys Brand Standards for restaurant sanitation are consistently achieved to include successfully passing all health inspections and Brand Protection Reviews.
- Ensures food preparation, food handling, and food storage standards are consistently followed.
- Enforces sanitary practices for the general cleanliness and maintenance of the restaurant.
- Financials: Assists the General Manager in interpreting financial and operational reports and schedules. Works with the General Manager to identify gaps in operating performance and to develop solutions to ensure that controllable profit goals are achieved.
- Assists the General Manager with managing to budgets established for their restaurant
- Growth: Helps drive sales, guest count, and profit for the restaurant by assisting the General Manager with local store marketing and by ensuring suggestive selling is being executed properly and that all measured goals are met.
- Safety and Security: Monitors to ensure that proper security procedures are in place to protect guests, employees, and company assets. Constantly monitors the restaurant for potential employee or guest liability, corrects the situation and brings to the attention of the Area Leader
- Asset Management: Monitors to ensure that proper cash handling, discounts and inventory management procedures are in place to protect and conserve company assets.
- Compliance: Maintains compliance with all RJC Policies and procedures as well as all state, local and federal regulations.
- Problem Resolution: Ensures that problems are addressed and resolved promptly (such as customer complaints, employee relations issues, facilities, or security issues, etc.). Brings appropriate issues to the attention of the General Manager, recommends correction, and participates in the resolution as required.
- Teamwork: Performs other duties as needed or assigned; willingly assists others without being asked.
- Creates a culture of teamwork within the restaurant
- Must be able to lift a tray weighing up to 25 lbs.
- Must be able to lift and carry supplies and equipment weighing up to 50 lbs. and place items on high and low shelves in office, storerooms, service areas, walk-in coolers, and freezers
- Must be able to bend, stoop, reach, lift, and grasp
- Must be able to hear well in a loud environment to respond to employee and guest needs
- Must meet any state, county, or municipal regulation pertaining to health risk concerns about food handling
- Must be able to operate point-of-sale system and differentiate between monetary denominations
- Must be able to work with all Dennys menu products
- Must be able to work around potentially hazardous chemicals
- Must have sufficient mobility to move and operate in confined work area
- Must work inside and outside the restaurant
- Must be able to observe staff and all aspects of restaurant operations
- Must be able to stand and walk during an 11-12-hour shift; occasional shifts more than 12 hours may be required due to the demands of the business
- Must be able to tolerate extreme temperature changes in kitchen and freezer areas
- Minimum of 2 years experience in restaurant, hospitality, or retail management; additional operations and/or leadership experience strongly preferred
- Food Safety Manager certification required
- Strong organizational skills with excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate with all levels of the organization
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in the English language
- Possesses basic math skills (add, subtract, multiply, divide)
- Places a value on diversity and shows respect for others
- Proven ability to problem solve and handle high stress situations
- Ability to interpret financial statements and understand contributing factors
- Must be able to perform job duties of every position
- Willingness to work the required 50-55-hour work week 5 days a week with occasional additional days based on the needs of the business
- Must be prepared to multitask in accordance with the demands of the business
- Ability to identify and anticipate opportunities and implement corrective action steps
- Ability to work weekends, holidays, and evenings
- Periodic travel to include occasional overnight travel and airline travel when applicable
- Licensed to operate an automobile without hours of operations restrictions
- Has reliable transportation to meet banking obligations
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employees assigned to this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or tasks which may be required to be performed in this position.
Denny's or the franchise owner may amend, change, or modify the responsibilities and duties of this position to meet business needs, as necessary.
This job description does not constitute a contract for employment and may be changed at the discretion of Denny's or the franchise owner with or without notice.