Pearson is the world's learning company, operating in nearly 200 countries around the world, with over 20,000 employees. We provide content, assessment and digital services to schools, colleges and universities, as well as professional and vocational education to learners to help increase their skills and lifelong employability prospects. We aim to support learners throughout their lifetime for every moment that matters - whether this is exam preparation and success, graduating from university, getting a new job, studying for a postgraduate degree, changing career, or looking for a new challenge.
From world-class assessment to virtual learning and beyond - we create the products and services that help tens of millions of people reach their goals each year. And we make sure our products fit with our key sustainability targets - to make learning accessible to everyone, to lead responsibly, and to give the next generation the skills they need to shape a better world.
Our vision is to have a direct relationship with millions of lifelong learners and to link education to the way people aspire to live and work every day. To do that, we will collaborate with a wide group of partners to help shape the future of learning. Our purpose is to help people make progress in their lives through learning.
We also believe we are at our best when we harness the unique skills, perspectives, and backgrounds of every employee.
The Research Scientist position described here is part of the Pearson Psychometric and Research Services group, which is part of the US School Assessment group and larger Assessment and Qualifications team. Pearson research scientists provide the full range of psychometric support to state and national customers, develop innovative techniques and processes, and conduct cutting-edge research studies.
The education, experience, and responsibilities associated with this position include:
Education and Work Experience
* Doctoral degree in educational measurement or a related field from a nationally recognized institution of higher education
* AND at least one year of relevant job experience, preferably with a testing program that has gone through a complete operational cycle OR at least one year of relevant job experience on a significant grant-funded research project
Familiarity with Psychometric Techniques or Techniques Associated with Other Relevant Areas of Expertise
* Has experience with applied psychometric techniques in a job setting-including classical test theory, item response theory, test equating, scaling, linking, and standard setting
* OR experience with applied techniques associated with the scientist's specific area of expertise
Familiarity with Software Packages and Programming Languages
* Has experience with software packages and programming languages commonly used in psychometric work or measurement research (e.g., SAS, R, SPSS, WINSTEPS, IRTPro, PARSCALE, C++, MPLUS)
Scaling and Equating
* Shows sufficient familiarity with common scaling and equating designs to review and draft technical documentation, (including technical specifications)
* Conducts and guides analyses for item calibration, linking, and equating
* Designs, documents, (including technical specifications), and conducts analyses for item calibration, linking, and equating
Grants, Research, and External Funding
* Develops study design and research analysis specifications for proposed research studies
* Identifies study limitations and study parameters to optimize analyses and design in grants/applications for external funding and in research publications
Test Construction/Field Testing
* Works closely with other research scientists, data analysts, subject-matter experts, and/or clients/customers in the construction of test forms and the preparation of items for various testing purposes
* Contributes to technical designs of proposals
* Writes associated text under guidance from more senior research scientists
Knowledge of Educational Trends
* Articulates and uses knowledge of national and state trends in education in assigned operational assessment programs or research projects
* Upholds the principles defined by the Standards for Educational and Psychological Testing
Communication Skills, Technical Presentations, and Client Contact
* Demonstrates communication skills, (oral, written, and business), necessary to function effectively as a primary contact with internal project teams and external clients with guidance from more senior research scientists
* Communicates about general state and national educational issues
* Presents technical information to different audiences, (e.g., client groups or technical advisory committees), with guidance from more senior research scientists
* Presents at national conferences
* Serves as the primary contact for Pearson Psychometric and Research Services, (PRS), (e.g., represents group in meetings and in other communications) for internal and external clients for a small-to-medium operational testing program or research project, or for a portion of a large and complex testing program or research project
Project and Talent Management
* Demonstrates project management skills necessary to lead all PRS-related aspects of a small-to-medium operational assessment program or research project, or a portion of a large and complex assessment program or research project
* Supports hiring process through applicant interviewing
* Provides career plan consultation and advice
* Aligns goals with published department goals
* Follows existing processes and documents processes when necessary
Working Location and Travel
* Willingness to travel as necessary
As required by the?Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, Pearson provides a reasonable range of minimum compensation for roles that may be hired in Colorado. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and specific office location. For the state of Colorado only , the range of starting pay for this role is $95,000 - $110,000. This position is eligible to participate in an annual incentive program, and information on benefits offered is here.
Learning is the most powerful force for change in the world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose - to help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help people build their skills and grow with the world around them. We are the world's leading learning company. Learn more at pearsonplc.com.
Pearson believes that wherever learning flourishes, so do people. We are committed to being an anti-racist?company in everything we do. We value the power of an inclusive culture and a strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the norm, and all individuals are supported in reaching their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace where talent can learn, grow, and thrive.
To learn more about Pearson's commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, please click here:? www.pearson.com/careers/diversity-and-inclusion.html
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.?All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other group protected by law.
Job: PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Organization: Assessment & Qualifications
Req ID: 7078