UnitedHealthcare is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
UnitedHealth Care Research and Analytics is currently seeking a Principal Data Scientist to join our dynamic team. In this role you will help reach our goals of accurate and effortless payments of claims through advanced analytics and machine learning. You should be an exceptional disciplined and self-motivated senior level Data Scientist with Machine Learning and Predictive Modeling experience and a passion for working with healthcare data, hands-on skills using various big-data and ML platform tools, and proven experience delivering business impact on a portfolio of projects. This role will also require experience with analytics business development, and delivery of analytic solutions to business leaders.
You will be working with data scientists, data engineers and analysts to find Fraud and Abuse within our claims systems. Additionally, working with our call center data to understand the reason why providers are calling and how we can obviate. Will be expected to work with other team members as a collaborative unit to solve big business problems. Additionally, innovation is a key to our business and solving these problems. Regardless of role, everyone contributes to understanding and innovating together.
You'll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Improve and extend the analytic methods in our products
- Work alongside other data scientists, engineers, and project managers to design and implement models and experiments from end to end, including data ingestion and preparation, feature engineering, analysis and modeling, model deployment, performance tracking and documentation
- Conduct hands-on data analysis and predictive analytics on large datasets
- Effectively communicate complex technical results to business partners
- Support and drive analytic efforts around machine learning and innovation
- Work with a great deal of autonomy to find solutions to complex problems
- Working with data scientists, data engineers and analysts to find Fraud and Abuse within our claims systems
- Working with our call center data to understand the reason why providers are calling and how we can obviate. Will be expected to work with other team members as a collaborative unit to solve big business problems
- Additionally, innovation is a key to our business and solving these problems. Regardless of role, everyone contributes to understanding and innovating together
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Undergraduate degree in applicable area of expertise or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in data analysis and predictive analytics with machine learning / statistical modeling techniques
- 3+ years of experience with data science languages such as Python, R, AI and SQL
- 2+ years of experience evolving a data science initiative/pilot from inception through to scaled delivery including quality testing, versioning, and documentation
- 2+ years of experience delivering and translating appropriate needs into data science work, explaining data science concepts and results to colleagues with different backgrounds
- 2+ years of experience building in custom tools in cloud data platforms such as Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Apache Spark, etc.
- 2+ years of experience in software development or machine learning roles
- 1+ years of experience with the landscape of data science methods, including data collection, data cleaning & validation, data storage & security, data processing
- 1+ years of experience building event-based data systems and machine learning pipelines
- Experience applying computational algorithms and statistical methods to structured and unstructured data
- Experience combining analytic methods with advanced data visualizations using, for example, Tableau, Shiny or D3
- Experience breaking down and clearly defining problems
- Experience communicating highly technical results to a diverse audience
- Familiarity with wrangling large datasets with big data tools such as Hadoop, Hive and Spark
- Basic knowledge of machine learning and data processing services from cloud providers such as Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, and Microsoft Azure
- Basic knowledge in experimenting and ensuring that algorithms deliver the results expected
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. When in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are required to wear a mask in common areas. In addition, employees must comply with any state and local masking orders
- Graduate degree (MS or PhD) in relevant technical discipline such as Computer Science, Computer / Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or related field
Careers with UnitedHealthcare. Let's talk about opportunity. Start with a Fortune 7 organization that's serving more than 85 million people already and building the industry's singular reputation for bold ideas and impeccable execution. Now, add your energy, your passion for excellence, your near-obsession with driving change for the better. Get the picture? UnitedHealthcare is serving employers and individuals, states and communities, military families and veterans where ever they're found across the globe. We bring them the resources of an industry leader and a commitment to improve their lives that's second to none. This is no small opportunity. It's where you can do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $94,500 to $171,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Principal Data Scientist, Data Analysis, Predictive Analytics, Machine Learning, Statistical Modeling, Data Science, Python, R, AI, SQL, Computational Algorithms, Statistical Methods, Data Visualizations, Tableau, Shiny, D3, Data Science Language, Cloud Data Platforms, Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Apache Spark, Software Development, Data Systems, Big Data, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Cloud Providers, Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, Algorithms, Minnetonka, MN, Minnesota, Travel, Telecommute, Telecommuter, Telecommuting, UHG, UnitedHealth Group, UHC, UnitedHealthcare