ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Measures and records patient vital signs; records patient interview and medical history.
- Catalogs and communicates patient needs to the PCP, Clinician, Specialist and/or other clinical personnel.
- Prepares patients for examinations and performs routine screening tests; assists physician with exams; explains treatment procedures and physicians' instructions to patient.
- Observes patients and reports any changes in patient conditions to the PCP, Clinician, Specialist and/or other clinical personnel.
- Perform non-critical medical and therapeutic procedures based on medical instructions. Collects phlebotomy and other lab specimens; performs basic waived lab tests.
- Prepares and administers medications; changes dressings, applies bandages, removes sutures and other first aid procedures; uses CPR skills when necessary, all under physician supervision.
- Maintains supplies, equipment, stocks and sterilizes instruments; practices OSHA safety standards; performs accurate, legal, and ethical documentation at all times.
- Processes patient phone messages, returning calls and routing them to other team members as appropriate; calls patients to obtain and relay pertinent information for the physician.
- Upon physician approval and authorization, calls in prescriptions to the pharmacy. Uses communication skills with appropriate medical terminology; and follows appropriate legal and ethical professional conduct; authorized individuals will use the ChenMed Rx system to support physician medication dispensing.
- Provides health coaching to a defined group of patients to support healthy lifestyle choices. Follows up with coached patients via weekly calls.
- Performs other duties as assigned and modified at manager’s discretion.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills with a heart of compassion and empathy towards our patients and families
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, time management skills and organizational skills
- Ability to effectively collaborate and partner with team members, including physicians and other clinicians, market leaders, center managers, nurses, case managers, front desk staff, center managers, and market leaders
- Mindset focused on resolving problems for patients and achieving team goals
- Knowledge of medical products, terminology, services, standards, policies and procedures
- Skilled in basic phone and computer operation
- Must be detail-oriented to ensure accuracy of reports and data
- Ability to maintain effective and organized systems to ensure timely patient flow
- Ability to act calmly in busy or stressful situations
- Proficient skills in Microsoft Office Suite products including Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel plus a variety of other word-processing, spreadsheet, database, e-mail and presentation software
- Ability and willingness to travel locally and/or regionally up to 10% of the time to assist in covering other centers, as needed
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE CRITERIA:
- High school diploma or equivalent education (GED) required
- Graduation from a nationally accredited Medical Assistant program OR comparable healthcare vocational training (i.e. foreign-trained physician, paramedic, etc.) required
- A minimum of 1 year of work experience as a Medical Assistant, Patient Care Technician or similar in a hospital, medical clinic or comparable environment OR documented clinical rotation training can be substituted for work experience
- BLS for Healthcare Providers required
- Experience working with geriatric patients is a plus
- EMR system experience preferred