Lead UX Designer - B2B Client Experience
Make investing intuitive through the user experience.
Doing the right thing for investors is what we're all about at Vanguard, and that includes giving them the best possible user experience (UX). In a business like ours, built around technology, the quality of digital interactions is essential. As a Lead UX Designer at Vanguard, we'll look to you to champion dynamic user experiences and use your expertise to deliver them. You'll provide input on every aspect of UX, from research and information architecture, to concepting and design. It will require a precise eye for detail, a knack for story-telling, and creativity, compassion, and problem-solving abilities. You'll need excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to achieve agreement with partners and stakeholders. Your impact will reach far beyond our clients and our business to set new standards for the whole industry.
As part of the Institutional Investor Group - Customer Experience UX Team, you'll join a group of UX specialists with a growth mindset working on products that improve people's financial wellness. Beyond working with an amazing group of strategists, researchers, designers and content writers-all who have hybrid/diverse backgrounds, you'll be able to collaboratively define processes and set best practices while enjoying a great team culture and supportive leadership. You'll also be joining a team, who, in the words of one of its' members, "is a bunch of nerdy sweethearts who care about making great products using human-centered design methods."
In this role you will...
* Provide senior level interface (UI) design services, including hands on designing of highly usable web/mobile/responsive layout, navigation, and content elements while maximizing system performance.
* Help define and implement an inspiring, holistic product vision and design strategy to build delightful experiences for our users. Gather and translate business requirements and user needs into hi-fidelity prototypes and UI designs.
* Work in partnership with cross-departmental teams and business leaders. Take into account every aspect of the user's experience and business goals, to coordinate and deliver designs, prototypes, and documentation, to the highest possible standards. Has advanced knowledge of user-centered design principles, visual design, user behavior, interactions, accessibility, and Vanguard's brand and design system.
* Analyze data and user feedback in order to make critical design decisions and continually improve the user experience.
* Present design solutions to senior management, project teams, partners, and stakeholders. Recommend improvements in UI design elements that enable internal business partners to achieve their goals.
* Facilitate, present and actively provide direct peer input at internal UX team design reviews.
* Partners with development team through execution. Utilize technical knowledge to produce achievable and efficient solutions. Test UI design as it's developed to ensure pages project desired look and feel. Recommend improvements in web functionality, navigation, and UI design elements. Serve as an informal functional tester for web UI design projects.
* You appreciate the value in research and also consider practical constraints.
* You have empathy for customer needs but can also consider technical constraints and business goals. You're passionate about inclusive design and accessibility, and you'll design with ALL users in mind.
* You're flexible in your approach and embrace a challenge; you are a visual problem solver. You can come up with new ways of addressing challenges quickly and communicating the solutions in a memorable, impactful way.
* Help cultivate the design culture of the team and the company, including championing user-centric design thinking and maintaining a collaborative design process.
* Train and mentors junior staff in best practices of user experience design. Provide guidance, training, and motivation.
* You'll get to work with amazing, friendly, smart colleagues all incredibly passionate about all things UX.
* Participate in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
What it takes:
* Minimum five years related work experience - User Experience Design, User Interface Design, Product Design experience.
* Have a proven track record of designing successful products that users love. You have a strong background as a visual designer and UX designer.
* Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience in a creative or technical field.
Specializations that'll make an impact:
* Advanced knowledge in user-centered design principles, visual design, user behavior and interaction design.
* Advanced knowledge in all areas of user experience design (information architecture, interaction design, visual design, prototype engineering, content, user experience, and accessibility).
* Experience with design thinking and lean methodologies.
* Contributes to a holistic experience across our product ecosystem, looking for opportunities to leverage and scale experiences.
* Actively researches and stays abreast of innovations within and outside the industry which could provide opportunities.
* A high degree of creativity, empathy, passion, and problem-solving ability.
* Experience working collaboratively with strategists, researchers, developers, project and product managers, and other stakeholders in an agile framework.
* Uses substantive, data-informed, arguments to sell a strategic user experience vision.
* Experience defining design strategies for program-wide initiatives, including resource planning, estimating work and timelines.
* Experience with measurement planning (business, analytics, and UX metrics) to ensure products are meeting goals and outcomes.
* Defines and documents design principles & methodologies, processes, and best practices.
* Contributes to a learning culture that drives aligned autonomy and mastery of design.
* Manages own workload to ensure work is prioritized and time is managed effectively.
* Develops and leverages a professional network to foster collaboration across the enterprise, to support company-wide initiatives, and to improve the ability of our organization in resolving issues.
* Portfolio or work samples required.
* Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Future of Work
During the pandemic, we transitioned to a work from home model for the majority of our crew and we continue to interview, hire, and on-board future crew remotely.
As we have developed the path forward, we have taken a thoughtful approach that both maximizes the advantages of working remotely and the many benefits of coming together and collaborating in a shared workspace. We believe that in-person interactions among our crew are important for preserving our unique culture and advantageous for the personal development of our crew.
When our Crew return to the office, many will work in our hybrid model. A smaller proportion of our crew will operate in the Work from Home work model (for example, field sales crew); or in the Work from Office model (for example, portfolio managers).
The working model that your role falls into will be communicated to you in the interview process - please do ask if you are unsure. We encourage you to make the decision regarding your job interview and offer knowing which model your role will fall into. We will test and learn as our ways of working evolve and will continue to evaluate working models along the way.