Cescaphe Limited - Philadelphia, PA
4 Year Degree
Hospitality - Hotel
The General Manager develops, oversees, and coordinates the planning and organization of events for assigned clients in conjunction with the Event Manager. They are responsible for overseeing the entire planning process from hosting meetings for clients to organize the timeline, menu selections and other elements of design for their wedding, social or corporate events. The General Manager is responsible for handling all questions, communications, and detailed planning after the meeting. The General Manager works in conjunction with the event manager, culinary and front of house teams, as well as outside vendors, to ensure successful follow through on event requests. Other responsibilities include comprehensive paperwork and effective communication. The General Manager is also the main point of contact for the client for the day of the event. During an event, they provide the leadership necessary to achieve stated objectives in overall execution, FOH/operational employee management, client satisfaction, food service, quality, and venue cleanliness.
Assigned venue responsibilities include, but are not limited to, ensuring proper event set up with operations team, and maintenance weekly and before, during and after an event using established procedures. The General Manager will be responsible for the supervision and accountability of venue teams, including event manager (s), subordinate manager(s). They will also supervise and report on labor for all events at assigned venue(s), including those managed by subordinate manager(s).
The General Manager will be responsible for training and overseeing subordinate managers of assigned venue(s). This position will work closely in conjunction with other departments to achieve production goals of menus, event equipment and ensuring proper handling and storage at assigned venue(s). The General Manager will work closely with sister companies to support teamwork and communication for assigned venue(s).
Each team member is expected to assist when and where necessary to ensure flawless execution. The General Manager will be expected to perform other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
Essential Knowledge & Skills:
Education: 4 year degree or equivalent experience
Certificates/Licenses: RAMP or ServSafe desirable
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Displays energy, persistence, and passion for position.
- Demonstrates innovation in new ideas and solutions.
- Adapts to changes in the work environment; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events; motivates others with enthusiasm to embrace change.
- Accepts new responsibilities without being asked.
- Sets clear performance expectations through direction and goals; defines quantity, quality, and time for each expectation.
- Interacts with all employees to develop a high level of teamwork, productivity, and morale; resolves conflicts constructively and professionally. Discipline employees where necessary while working closely with HR department.
- Manage core team employee's Serve safe and RAMP certificates.
- Ensure Event Manager is set up properly for events including reviewing final BEO's.
- When not managing an event, General Managers oversee entire location and help where needed to ensure Event Manager's event is successful.
Training and Development
- Pursues own personal development, identifying areas for self-improvement and establishing plans for development and follow through.
- Accepts constructive criticism professionally and applies suggestions for self-improvement.
- Coaches employees as needed to improve performance.
- Provides input and feedback for FOH training material and job specific manuals.
- Provides ongoing guidance and trains new Event Managers.
- Responsible for the hiring, training, development, retention, and discipline of FOH/operational venue event team members (operations, set up, bussers, servers, head servers, and matre d's) with support from FOH Manager and Directors.
- Introduces self to client between time of booking and no later than (5) months before event, walks client through planning process. Immediately follows up with introduction by sending email to client with their contact information and short recap of planning process and timeline for General Manager's events.
- Thoroughly collects all pertinent client information and communicates with appropriate departments and ensure that Event Managers have followed suit.
- Maintains active communication with client to ensure planning timeline is adhered to and all questions are thoroughly answered. Educates and guides client towards decisions, especially on menu items, that will benefit both their event and CEG.
- Ensures any and all items discussed during event coordinating meeting are accurately and thoroughly recorded and communicated to all necessary departments.
- Conducts post-document discussions with client; makes changes to BEO (Banquet Event Order) as necessary.
- Adheres to all job relevant manuals, checklists, and standard operating procedures.
- Directs set up and breakdown of assigned events including, but not limited to cleanliness of overall venue, proper storage, and organization of items, reporting/recording lost/found items. Including managing weekly inventory counts with key employees.
- Oversees venue set up and execution of food service and courses; provides necessary feedback to appropriate individuals (i.e. Chef, Operations) to ensure standards are maintained.
- Manages high production with ease and minimal supervision. Ensures any rentals are properly received and packed up
- Educates and guides client towards decisions, especially on menu items, that will benefit both their event and CEG.
- Sends weekly reporting and weekly orders as directed
- Possesses financial savvy and demonstrates the ability to foster and lead cost-efficient initiatives without sacrificing quality or core values. Supervises labor and supply cost management. Maintains an awareness of venue specific items, taking care of them with proper storage and process compliance and continually relaying those procedures to various teams to ensure preservation.
- Manage location's facilities both internal and external maintenance needs and cleanliness, being capable to place work orders in when necessary. Conduct venue walkthroughs with management when scheduled.
- Manage location's licenses and prompt management when renewal is necessary.
- Ensure all product for the events are ordered in a timely manner including but not limited to cake, ice, menu, linens, paper products, chemicals, maintenance needs (light bulbs).
Customer Service/Business Development
- Supports initiatives with other CEG entities, such as Cescaphe Trolley, Beautiful Blooms, Capelli & Trucco and Cescaphe White Concierge, in effort to continue the planning process.
- Answers questions concerning event details; connects with vendors to communicate execution details, restrictions, and accommodations.
- Manage the vendor drop offs and ensure accuracy with delivery.
- Informs manager and director of difficult or emotional customer situations.
- Responds promptly and courteously to customer needs (always responsive within 24 hours).
- Conveys customer feedback to improve service.
- Exhibits sensitivity for cultural differences; builds rapport and establishes trust.
- Ensure client receives open and clear communication on all items pertaining to their event to guarantee client satisfaction.
- Ensures clients and guests feel welcome and are given responsive, friendly, and courteous service always.
- Ensure proper documentation of incidents employee and guest.
- Manage the location's finances based off the P&L for the location.
- Participate in/ ensure employees are participating in monthly safety meetings.
Quality of Judgment/Decision Making
- Makes sound decisions through consideration of all facts, areas and people affected or involved.
- Makes effective and timely decisions, especially in high priority and stressful situations.
- Incorporates others in decision making processes, using discretion of when and to whom information is disclosed.
- Defines, anticipates, and prevents problems; overcomes obstacles and generates alternative solutions.
Planning and Organizing
- Uses objectives, schedules, policies, and procedures to obtain desired levels of productivity.
- Maintains well-organized files and materials, creating a productive and efficient work environment.
- Develops policies and procedures to enhance and measure quality.
Employee and Management Interaction
- Assists in training and development of event personnel (i.e. event managers, bussers, servers, matre d', etc.)
- Establishes and maintains effective relations with both co-workers and managers.
- Balances teamwork and individual responsibilities.
- Gives and welcomes constructive feedback.
- Puts success of team above personal interests.
- Able and willing to fill in as needed, with or without request.
- Attends and participates in event preparation meetings the week of the event.
Communication and Professionalism
- Consistently adheres to CEG Mission Statement and Core Values.
- Expresses thoughts and ideas in written and/or verbal form and in a clear, effective and respectful manner.
- Exhibits good active listening and comprehension skills; speaks clearly and audibly.
- Conveys information, decisions or problems to appropriate parties on a timely basis; refrains from distorting information.
- Consistently adheres to company dress code and keeps self well groomed.
- Consistently arrives for work and is on time, ensuring work is covered when absent.
- Treats others with respect.
- Keeps commitments.