The Safety Supervisor is responsible for providing field safety support inclusive of task- based safety-related supervision, safety evaluations, field observations and training of drivers which ensures that customer deliveries are made in a safe, efficient, and timely manner. This position assists with the monitoring of Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations to ensure that drivers are in compliance with all applicable DOT regulations and company policies. The position will coordinate the tracking of all relevant safety information utilizing company tools and technology.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Primarily rides with drivers for training and/or safety evaluation purposes and ensures that all drivers in the region receive an annual safety performance evaluation.
- Educates employees in proper safety procedures, safe work practices and policies.
- Deliver site safety orientations, facilitate safety meetings and provides technical safety training as appropriate.
- Motivates employees, including performance evaluation, safety coaching, and problem resolution, to achieve a positive safety culture.
- Monitors safe vehicle operation and trains drivers on safe usage of equipment, electronic devices, safe lifting and product-handling practices.
- Reviews safety risk software to include telematic programs (Samsara/Samba) on a daily basis for regional locations, including review of drivers' safety performance reports to ensure that goals for safety and regulatory compliance are met
- Conduct daily informal safety and health inspections of work sites, tasks and activities
- Participate in the Job/Task Hazard Analysis process
- Ensures accurate completion of all delivery and regulatory required paperwork through audits and company reconciliation processes (DVIR, CSA violations, etc.)
- Maintain safety evaluation logs, files and tracking of all site safety reports
- Analyzes safety improvement areas to provide recommendations and solutions that can be implemented within the region
- Reviews safety observation data and develops action plans to address hazards
- Builds safety flyers & messages and presents material in front of employees on a regular basis
- Participates in the site safety recognition programs and develops effective Lessons Learned packages to be delivered to the employees
- Participates in any special safety and leadership training at the request of the local operations team
- DOT compliance
- Teamwork within the department and across departments
- Safety of employees
- Safety of facility and transportation equipment
JOB QUALIFICATIONS: Education & Experience Requirements
- 6+ years of work experience in the transportation industry, inclusive of prior safety, dispatch or supervisory work experience. Transportation distribution industry preferred, but not required.
Knowledge of (B/basic; J/journey; E/expert):
- DOT regulations, policies, and procedures
- On-board computer and telematic systems
- Relevant safety policies, practices and procedures
- Safety Coaching concepts and techniques
- PC word-processing/spreadsheet software applications (MS applications to include email)
- Regional geography and customer locations
Skill and ability to:
- Provide Safety support, training and road observation of a diverse workforce of over 300 employees
- Resolve and report safety issues between drivers and customers;
- Supervise and motivate employees in a team-based environment
- Interpret transportation safety operations regulations and identify appropriate solutions
- Prepare administrative and technical documents and reports
- Work effectively in a general business environment, with a focus on high levels of safety, quality and customer service