Do you have compassion and a passion to help others? Transforming healthcare and millions of lives as a result starts with the values you embrace and the passion you bring to achieve your life’s best work.(sm)
Disability Inclusion Internship Program (up to 15weeks)
The Disability Inclusion Internship Program is an innovative and collaborative program between UnitedHealth Group and the National Employment Team that serves as a conduit to local Vocational Rehabilitation Centers and Community Resource Partners across the U.S. This competitively paid internship is open to all individuals with disabilities who are interested in developing or enhancing their professional skills in a corporate setting. This program will provide an opportunity for conversion to a full-time or part-time role within the organization but is not a guarantee to part time or full time employment.
Disability Inclusion Internship Program is designed to:
- Provide competitively paid health care career skills training in one or more of the following areas: customer service, healthcare economics, informatics, analytics, clinic-based business practices, quality improvement, risk management, provider, and/or staff and patient experience improvement practices
- Prepare candidates for a corporate role
- Be a platform to explore healthcare career paths
- Teach new skills and provide hands-on experience through 12-15 week workforce development program opportunities and collaboration with UHG employees
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
Working in a call center environment under supervision, this position handles inbound calls from patients, patient representatives, providers and other medical staff. Initiates outbound reminder calls and participates in special outbound call campaigns. When appropriate, refers medically related inquiries/requests and complaints to clinic staff for intervention and resolution.
Works collaboratively with clinic staff and other departments to provide an exceptional patient experience.
- Work effectively in a structured, production environment
- Adhere to daily schedules and assignments
- Assists callers with general contacts including, but not limited to, appointment scheduling, general facility and provider information, general requests, medical records requests and issue resolution
- Verify and update patient information in the clinical information system
- When appropriate, assigns electronic tasks to clinic staff to intervene with medically related inquiries and requests and to address concerns
- Contact patients to remind of appointments
- Contact patients to communicate special outbound call campaign messaging
- Review patient chart (in EMR) to ensure core measures are being addressed and met per protocol and takes appropriate action when they are not, i.e., schedule services
- Assist patients with identification of and connectivity to community and program resources to assist with non-medical needs, (Pharmacy assistance programs, meals on wheels, LIS)
- Document thoroughly all calls and actions taken within core systems
- 11. Performs all other related duties as assigned
Work Schedule: Full-Time (40 hours a week) Shift between 8:00 AM-4:30 PM, 9:00 AM-5:30 PM, or 9:30 AM- 6:00 PM
Work Setting: 12459 Network Blvd Suite 101 San Antonio, TX 78249
- High School Diploma, GED, Certificate of Completion, or equivalent
- 2+ years of experience in healthcare or customer service environment with direct customer contact
- Solid computer experience (data entry, screen navigation, keyboarding)
- Ability to start a 12-15 week internship beginning September, 2021
- Familiarity with medical terminology
- Familiarity with managed care
- Medical office experience
- Electronic Medical Record experience
- Bilingual (English and Spanish)
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced call center environment
- Ability to adhere to daily schedules and duties
- Ability to think critically
- Ability to effectively de-escalate and resolve issues
- Excellent Customer Service voice and demeanor
- Excellent listening skills
- Comfort with addressing client concerns via phone
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent demonstration of caring and compassion
- Solid desire to work with the elderly
Careers with WellMed. Our focus is simple. We're innovators in preventative health care, striving to change the face of health care for seniors. We're impacting 550,000+ lives, primarily Medicare eligible seniors in Texas and Florida, through primary and multi-specialty clinics, and contracted medical management services. We've joined Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of companies, and our mission is to help the sick become well and to help patients understand and control their health in a lifelong effort at wellness. Our providers and staff are selected for their dedication and focus on preventative, proactive care. For you, that means one incredible team and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
UnitedHealth Group is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you need special assistance or accommodation for any part of the application process, please call 1-800-561-0861 and press or say 1 for Applicant to be connected to Recruitment Services. Recruitment Services hours of operation are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CT, Monday through Friday.