We are looking for a Director of Communications and Marketing to
help shape and execute the brand and narrative for the Pennsylvania
Academy of the Fine Arts. The selected candidate will have a proven
history of leading successful marketing plans and strategies,
dedication to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging, and
ability to establish connections and build relationships with
various PAFA stakeholders and community members.
Founded in 1805, the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
(PAFA) is America's first school and museum of fine arts.
Located in center city Philadelphia, PAFA is intimate in scale with
a strong sense of community. PAFA’s undergraduate degree
offerings include a BFA in Studio Art and a coordinated BFA with
the University of Pennsylvania. Graduate programs include an MFA
and Low-Residency MFA degree, and a Post-Baccalaureate certificate.
PAFA’s museum has an outstanding collection of American art, and
the museum actively collects and exhibits contemporary art,
including work in new media. Additionally, PAFA is home to
the BRODSKY Center, a print and papermaking center focused on the
creation of innovative editions by contemporary artists.
Because we were the nation’s first art museum and art school, we
believe PAFA has a moral obligation to ensure that every member of
our community can study and work in an environment where they feel
a sense of belonging. We have the additional obligation of
ensuring that our community reflects that rich tapestry of beauty
and diversity that surrounds our world. We are committed to
modeling diversity and inclusion for the entire arts, cultural and
educational sector, and to maintaining an inclusive environment
with equitable treatment for all. PAFA is committed to
maintaining an inclusive learning environment, and a diverse
community of students, faculty and staff.
PAFA is an equal opportunity employer. Women and diverse
candidates are strongly encouraged to apply to work in our
POSITION: Director of Communications and
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Director of
Communications and Marketing will help shape the brand and
narrative for the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (PAFA) to
increase awareness of the organization locally and nationally,
enhance its reputation, and expand its audiences and revenue
streams for America’s first museum and art school. The Director
will work across the institution with various stakeholders in order
to identify target audiences and markets as well as the strategies
to reach them, develop stories and content, and identify
opportunities that will help PAFA achieve the business objectives
of the organization; to increase enrollment in all educational
programs; to boost contributed income; to grow attendance to the
Museum; and to support other revenue streams such as event rentals
and retail sales.
This position will be expected to execute upon a marketing
communications plan including strategy, goals, budget and tactics.
They will be expected to secure high-level national and regional
placements in print, broadcast and online media, and to maximize
the potential of social media channels. The position will be
responsible for developing and executing multi-platform
communications strategies to build awareness and amplify the work
and reputation of PAFA with various stakeholders, within and
outside of the organization.
Primary functions of this position will include overseeing
marketing and public relations strategy and implementation,
managing communications across all channels, managing media
inquiries and interview requests, creating content for a variety of
audiences and purposes, and conducting market research and
evaluation of results. They will evaluate opportunities for
partnerships, sponsorships, and advertising on an on-going basis.
This role will need to build relationships with thought leaders,
traditional media outlets and influencers to grow PAFA’s awareness,
and maintain a keen understanding of the arts and culture sector,
as well as higher and continuing education trends, and make
appropriate recommendations regarding communication strategy
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Marketing and Social Media
- In collaboration with members of the senior staff, establish a
21st century strategy and marketing plans, including the use of
traditional marketing techniques as well as social media and other
forms of cutting-edge tools to achieve institutional
- Develop and execute comprehensive short-term and long-term
marketing plans and programs to support PAFA’s enrollment, visitor,
public programs, and revenue goals.
- Determine target markets and create the strategies to reach
- Researches, analyzes and monitors demographics and other
factors to maximize market opportunities and minimize effect of
- Regularly conduct market research to identify opportunities and
- Researches, analyzes and monitors demographics and other
- Establish and maintain relationships with key business,
community, strategic and cultural partners; serve as liaison with
outside organizations to develop marketing and promotional
- Plan and oversee advertising and promotional activities
including print, online, electronic media and direct mail.
- Oversee development and production of marketing, promotional
and collateral materials.
- Measure results of marketing and promotional programs, take
corrective action to insure achievement of marketing goals within
- Seek out and cultivate media relationships; schedule interviews
with media; reach the media in a timely fashion; organize and
execute media events resulting in significant targeted
- Write and distribute media releases and media press kits for
exhibitions, college gallery openings, degree programs, education
programs, Board/staff appointments, capital projects, galas and
other special events.
- Organize and execute media events, maintain media files and
databases and interface with clipping/media measurement
- Provide strategic input on media matters affecting PAFA.
- Field and direct responses to all media-related inquiries;
availability to media request at a moment’s notice.
- Partner with cultural, arts, tourism, convention, and
hospitality service organizations.
- Foster and maintain network of contacts with public relations
and advertising counterparts in museums and educational
- Ensure that brand and style guidelines are adhered to across
- Create content and write for the President’s Office, internal
and external collateral and communication vehicles and development
- Work with internal stakeholders/colleagues while providing
focus and consistency across the organization for defining and
elevating PAFA’s profile and raising broader awareness and
engagement across constituencies and targeted audiences.
- Prepare departmental activity reports and present to senior
staff and Board of Trustees.
- Provide staff support for Marketing Committee of the Board of
- Develop and manage departmental budget.
- Work with and manage relationships outside vendors and
consultants as needed.
- Manage the production of materials and closing dates to ensure
deadlines are met.
- Proof electronic and print materials.
- Contribute to content for website.
- Ad hoc duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Communications or related
field. Master’s preferred.
- Minimum 8-10 years of management experience in marketing.
- Proven experience in the marketing and support of enrollment
- Editorial experience in all forms of media: print, electronic
- Experience with all forms of institutional publishing and
- Experience in managing website content.
- Financial skills appropriate for management of budget,
financial projections, and research purposes.
- Computer literacy – Microsoft Office products, Constant Contact
or other email marketing software, Adobe Creative Suite, Muck Rack,
Buffer or comparable programs and Salesforce, Raiser's Edge, or
similar CRM/Development databases.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Understanding of art and cultural marketing preferred.
The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts accepts digital
applications only. A complete application should include the
- Cover Letter
- Information for three professional references
When submitting your application online, please save your
documents as Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx) or PDF (.pdf) files. To
help us process your applications as efficiently as possible,
please save your files with the following filename format:
*Due to the amount of potential applicants, we do not
respond to voice calls or messages about the status of your
application. Based on the criteria for the position, the most
qualified candidates will be contacted directly. Thank you for your
interest in PAFA.
The Chronicle of Higher Education. Keywords: Communications Director, Location: Philadelphia, PA - 19102