Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
In support of the quadruple aim and Optum Care’s mission, the Office for Provider Advancement (OPA) is seeking a Data Scientist that will work integrally with the pillar leads as a primary resource for the collection, analysis, presentation and publication of key performance indicators. The Data Scientist will report to the Executive Director of Optum’s Center for Research and Innovation (OCRI). Dependent upon interest, experience, and need, the Scientist may also have growth/development opportunities such as oversight of additional staff, quality monitoring or contributing to education and training.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Under the direction of the Executive Director of Optum Center for Research, the Data Scientist will lead all phases of an analytics/health outcomes research project, including formulation, research, development, implementation, testing, and maintenance
- Work integrally with OPA pillar leads and other business units to delivery on key business goals, outcomes and milestones:
- Drive collection, statistical analyses, presentation and publication of research studies
- Collaborate with health care analytics on identifying appropriate data sources, anticipating project needs and performing interim analyses on disparate projects fulfilling several clinical priorities
- Evaluate and analyze the data for manuscripts pertaining to burnout and teammate, provider and patient experience
- Partner with Human Capital and UnitedHealth Group on provider survey analyses
- Use sophisticated computer software, such as databases and statistical packages, to analyze and solve problems. Use statistical software to simulate current and anticipate future events and evaluate alternative courses of action
- Present findings to peers and data science/research leadership and provide recommendations on proposed business solutions
- Maintain an awareness of trends in the field and research and suggest new methodologies
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- BS/BA Degree
- 5+ years of professional experience
- Experience applying descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive statistics to real-world problems
- Experience in general programming language, e.g., Python
- Experience querying relational databases using SQL
- Experience in statistical computing and graphics using RStudio
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Degree in Statistics, Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, or related quantitative field
- MS with 2+ years of professional experience
- Experience with healthcare economics/science/product development
- Experience creating compelling data visualizations
- Understanding of one or more of the following:
- Statistics: Generalized linear models, time series models, and forecasting techniques
- Predictive Modeling: linear regression (ordinary least squares), logistic regression, ridge regression, time series, decision trees, neural networks, and episode treatment groups
- Operations Research: Linear and mixed integer optimization and discrete event simulation
- Machine Learning: Common supervised and unsupervised ML models, including decision trees, nearest neighbor models, and neural nets; and a standard ML library, e.g., scikit-learn, TensorFlow
- Writing and research protocol development experience
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques
- Solid problem-solving skills
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary/hourly range for Colorado residents is $82,100 to $146,900. The salary/hourly range for Connecticut/Nevada residents is $90,500 to $161,600. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.