A best-in-class city that attracts best-in-class talent, Philadelphia is an incredible place to build a career. From our thriving arts scene and rich history to our culture of passion and grit, there are countless reasons to love living and working here. With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia offers boundless opportunities to make an impact.
As an employer, the City of Philadelphia values inclusion, integrity, innovation, empowerment, and hard work above all else. We offer a vibrant work environment, comprehensive health care and benefits, and the experience you need to grow and excel. If you're interested in working with a passionate team of people who care about the future of Philadelphia, start here.
What we offer
- Impact - The work you do here matters to millions.
- Growth - Philadelphia is growing, why not grow with it?
- Diversity & Inclusion - Find a career in a place where everyone belongs.
- Benefits - We care about your well-being.
The attorneys in the HIPAA & Privacy Law Unit guide the City in adherence to the requirements of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act ("HIPAA") and counsel all City departments and subunits required to comply with the HIPAA Privacy Rule and Breach Notification Rule. The HIPAA & Privacy Law Unit also coordinates and provides guidance on federal and state privacy laws that apply to all sectors of City government. The HIPAA & Privacy Law Unit is also responsible for overseeing and supporting the City's HIPAA privacy compliance program.
The City of Philadelphia seeks an entry-level privacy attorney to provide regulatory guidance for the City's health and social services activities. The Assistant City Solicitor will support both the City HIPAA Privacy Officer's and the HIPAA & Privacy Law Unit's advice and guidance to the City's HIPAA-Covered Units and other City departments regarding federal and state privacy laws. The position provides an exciting opportunity to work with individuals at all levels of City government and significantly impact the City's privacy operations.
Duties will include:
- Conducting research, drafting legal opinions, and analyzing legal issues related to HIPAA and other data privacy laws;
- Assisting the Law Department's Privacy Review Committee with cross-departmental data sharing and external data sharing requests and projects.
- Assisting in investigating and mitigating HIPAA incidents and addressing complaints concerning HIPAA privacy policies and processes;
- Assisting with creating and implementing HIPAA policies, training materials, and other HIPAA compliance tools;
- Advising clients on matters related to HIPAA and other data privacy laws.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
This position requires both legal acumen and strong interpersonal skills. The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Knowledge of relevant regulations and standards for the protection of health information
- Knowledge of relevant federal and Pennsylvania privacy laws
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing
- Ability to work collaboratively with attorneys and clients on complex projects
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Self-direction and ability to prioritize, plan work, and manage projects independently
This is an entry level position. The ideal candidate should have at least 1 to 3 years of law firm or in-house experience in transactional and/or regulatory healthcare law, health care privacy management, healthcare business operations, and information systems.
Candidates should have strong analytical, writing, client management, and organizational skills.
Candidate must be licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania.
Privacy certification preferred but not required (Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP), Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM), Certified in Healthcare Privacy Compliance (CHPC), Certified HIPAA Professional (CHP), or equivalent).
Resident of the City of Philadelphia within 6 months of hire.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates must submit a cover letter, writing sample, references and resume.
Any questions related to this position should be directed to Elise Bruhl, Chief Deputy, HIPAA & Privacy Law Unit [Click Here to Email Your Resumé] ).
Salary Range: $66,000 - $75,000
Did you know?
- We are a Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program qualified employer
- 25% tuition discount program for City employees (and sometimes spouses and dependents as well) in partnership with area colleges and universities
- We offer Comprehensive health coverage for employees and their eligible dependents
- Our wellness program offers eligibility into the discounted medical plan
- Employees receive paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Generous retirement savings options are available
*The successful candidate must be a city of Philadelphia resident within six months of hire
Please note that effective September 1, 2021 the City of Philadelphia is requiring all new employees to present proof of vaccination against COVID-19.
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or send an email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].
For more information, go to: Human Relations Website: www.phila.gov/humanrelations/Pages/default.aspx