Sr. Accountant - Fixed Asset Management
Responsible for the more complex activities and meaningful analysis associated with maintaining PP&E and depreciation general ledger accounts and the development of financial statements and reports in accordance with accounting policies and procedures. This is the most senior skill level and may provide guidance to lower level accountants and/or clerks.
The function will be located in Collegeville, PA. This position will report to a Manager within the function and is responsible to a) record transactions and perform account reconciliations, b) maintain excellent working relationships with supervisor and customer base (e.g. BU Finance personnel), c) adhere to policies and procedures in accordance with Company policy and GAAP, d) maintain an appropriate control environment in accordance with Company SOX policy and d) assist in phasing in incremental Business Units support while adhering to all corporate timelines around monthly close cycle. The function itself will be responsible to transition general accounting work from Business Units into a centralized function to gain efficiency and standardization of approach. This function will record journal entries, process account reconciliations, and perform period analysis of financial results and interact with BU Controllers to ensure completeness and accuracy of BU financial statements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The individual in this position is responsible for ensuring that the fixed asset records of the company are accurate and in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and company policies. They are further responsible for ensuring that capital spending is in compliance with corporate policies and does not exceed authorized limits.
• The individual is responsible for all Intangible and Goodwill account reconciliations including monthly 5 year projection reports.
• Responsible for Quarterly Call Binder report on capital expenditures.
• Maintain a world class environment for processing journal entries and performing account reconciliations, including appropriate supporting documentation and innovative use of technology.
• Responsible for reconciling all equipment leases.
• The individual must be capable of executing transactions within the fixed asset system to properly add, adjust, retire and transfer assets. They must also be able to train, review and supervise other staff that performs these functions.
• They shall oversee the printing and distribution of asset tags. The individual will assist in the documentation of key policies and procedures surrounding the capital requisition and fixed asset accounting processes.
• They will ensure that all capital requests are properly logged and controlled and required approvals are obtained in PS Project Costing. Capital spending must be monitored to ensure that approved spending limits are not exceeded. They will participate in the compilation and analysis of capital expenditure information to ensure timely and appropriate capitalization. They will work closely with other departments to ensure that capital expenditure requests and related payments are processed on a timely and accurate basis.
• They will review and prepare reconciliations of fixed asset suspense accounts, clearly identifying those assets ready for capitalization vs. those assets that are not yet in use. Preparation/review of detail fixed asset reconciliations to the general ledger and a roll forward of the fixed asset accounts must be performed on a monthly basis.
• The individual will also assist in the year-end audit, implementation of project accounting and other software, as well as the integration of new acquisitions.
• They will prepare monthly analysis of capital projects for purposes of capitalization on interest in accordance with SFAS #34. They will prepare monthly capital spending analysis and other ad hoc analysis, for senior management.
• They will provide support to field, financial personnel as well as research and resolve detailed transaction questions as they arise. In all of the above duties, the individual will either participate in the detail preparation or review the work of staff accountants in the fixed asset department.
• Strong accounting, communication, supervisory and analytical skills. Knowledge of fixed asset accounting. Also, must have strong experience with and knowledge of Excel.
• Prefer experience with PeopleSoft Asset Management and General Ledger, Hyperion & PeopleSoft N-Vision.
• Drive continuous improvement in the reporting and analysis process.
• Maintain adherence to the Company's accounting policies and controls over financial processes and reporting meeting the requirements of audit and control functions – participate in internal and external audits (SOX & PwC).
• Support PeopleSoft Financial System initiatives by providing participation on project teams, acting in a User Acceptance testing capacity and as needed to ensure that existing functionality is maintained.
Education Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
CPA preferred. CMA, MBA a plus
• 3-5 years of accounting experience.
• Previous fixed asset accounting experience desirable.
• Technical accounting and reporting expertise, especially accounting close and related controls and processes
• Strong competencies including Problem Solving, Analytics & Customer Focus
• Strong computer skills – Microsoft Office products, with emphasis on Excel and Access
Important personal attributes include:
• Ability to work with a high degree of accuracy, especially under the pressure of month-end close
• Mature and resilient
• Outstanding communication skills (both verbal and written)
• Organized, collaborative and ability to prioritize tasks
• Excellent Presentation skills to higher level in the organization
• Attention to detail, and exceptional follow-up ability
• Highly motivated, process-driven
• Solid interpersonal skills and leadership qualities
• High level of integrity, strong ethics
• Enhances value through creative ideas and solutions to complex information needs
• Proactive, able to influence others and drive change