Responsible for assembling responses to Request For Proposal/Request For Qualifications packages, construction underwriting, asset management system (ELITE) updates, financial modeling of construction process and coordination of due diligence activities. Manages customer service through coordination of construction managers, property managers, city officials, consultants, leasing teams and tenants. Leads development management on small to medium sized projects of more than simple complexity and provides professional expertise to larger and more complex projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the execution of development services on all but most complex projects. Generally will handle a small number of projects simultaneously.
- Responsible for providing key inputs on responses to Requests for Proposals and Requests for Qualifications associated with pursuit of development opportunities.
- Responsible for underwriting of project costs, from a conceptual design stage including preliminary specifications and scope, estimated project costs, and preliminary development timeline through project implementation and closeout.
- Verifies that all project information related to building of the project, including project size, project costs, and key dates, is accurately input in the asset management system (ELITE) and that any subsequent changes are reflected there on a timely basis.
- Coordinates due diligence on prospective land or building acquisitions, including hiring third party consultants such as environmental, civil, architects, and other engineers as appropriate, negotiating terms of their engagements including defining scope of investigations, management of those consultants, interpretation of results of consultants' findings for business unit pursuit team, and review and approval of cost estimates generated as part of due diligence process.
- Deals effectively with major customers, resulting in retained/expanded business and the delivery of targeted, cost effective products.
- Assists in new business pursuits.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Manages the planning, organization, and controls for a major project, functional area, or department. May be responsible for a mix of direct and matrix reports. Recommends staff recruitment, selection, promotion, advancement, corrective action, and termination to next level management for review and approval. Monitors appropriate staffing levels and reports on utilization and deployment of human resources. Leads and supports staff in areas of staffing, selection, training, development, coaching, mentoring, measuring, appraising and rewarding performance and retention. Leads by example and models behaviors that are consistent with the company's values.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management, business or equivalent from appropriate 4-year college program. Typically at least 5 years commercial development management experience. Knowledge and understanding of construction practices/techniques, Title III of ADA, contract laws, project controls and building support systems or any similar combination of education and experience. LEED accreditation with current educational requirements strongly preferred. Track record of consistently completing projects on time and on budget.
CERTIFICATES and/or LICENSES
Ability to comprehend, analyze, and interpret the most complex business documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive issues. Ability to write reports, manuals, speeches and articles using distinctive style. Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations on complex topics to employees, clients, top management and/or public groups. Ability to motivate and negotiate effectively with key employees, top management, contractors, and client groups to take desired action.
Requires in-depth knowledge of financial and real estate terms and principles. Reviews complex financial/business analysis and reports prepared by subordinates. Ability to analyze the most complex business/financial data and develop innovative solutions. Develops and implements financial policies and procedures. Approves and oversees department/division budget.
Ability to solve advanced problems and deal with a variety of options in complex situations. Requires expert level analytical, quantitative, and construction skills. Draws upon the analysis of others and makes recommendations that have a direct impact on the company.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Decisions made with in-depth understanding and interpretation of procedures, company policies and business practices to achieve complex results. Responsible for setting project, department and/or division deadlines. Errors in judgment may cause long-term impact to line of business and/or overall company.