We are UMG, Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How we LEAD:
Merchandise, collecting physical music and commerce is becoming part of the fabric of music culture. For artists, it’s a way to develop and further articulate their brand. For fans, it’s another pathway to connecting with an artist and the culture they represent.
The UMG eCommerce team is looking for a seasoned executive creative leader to guide a team of in-house creative leads and to partner with the creatives at our labels, merch companies and artist teams to elevate the experience around our direct-to-consumer ecommerce experiences. This role will focus on driving better storytelling, brand presentation, artist-fan connection and commerce/shopping experience. An understanding and experience overseeing campaign concept development, creative direction for marketing content and web/digital is a must. Experience with product development is a bonus.
How you’ll CREATE:
Lead and Mentor the Creative Planning Team:
- Oversee and support day-to-day art direction function of the department with a team of creative leads
- Provide mentorship to creative planning talent
- Give input on and/or oversee key creative planning processes
- Guide and provide input on creative execution of photo & video shoots, social content, innovative web experiences, and more in partnership with other creative leadership
- Keep teams culturally literate and looped into bigger trends across the ecommerce landscape, particularly the music space
Build Out Robust Creative Capabilities:
- Identify the talent, resources and processes needed to have world-class, award-worthy creative output from the team
- Identify and develop new creative capabilities that can help drive our business in partnership with the broader creative team
- Personally drive / be involved with high priority artist or UMG initiatives
- Concept development for priority UMG brand initiatives
Work Cross-functionally and Collaboratively:
- Be a good partner to the broader creative community at UMG, including the labels, merch companies and artist teams that we serve
- Collaborate with other eCommerce departments and other UMG teams, including consumer marketing, analytics, creative services, etc
- Drive team cohesion and alignment within the eCommerce group and across the broader UMG organization
Bring your VIBE:
- 10-12 years experience in a creative or agency setting, focused on driving creative strategy around ecommerce, with at least 4 years experience leading and managing a team
- Degree in a creative field, advertising, or other related field – MBA or advanced degree is a plus
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams in high pressure situations, as well as interface with artists & label executives
- Demonstrated creative success on a range of brands or clients
- Natural collaborator - must be willing to set ego aside in order to deliver for our customers (both fans and artists), and stay cool, calm & collected
- Capable of managing multiple projects concurrently with short & long term timelines
- Deep understanding of music fandom and the fan to artist connection, as well as brand differentiation across artists
- Established track record of effectively communicating and selling through strategies and campaign plans, particularly in the ecommerce space
- Strong critical thinking skills and an ability to make informed decisions based on data
- Strong verbal, written and visual communication skills
- Detail-oriented, self-directed, and able to set priorities
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan with company matching
- Flexible Paid Time Off plus Paid Holidays, 2 week “Winter Break” & Wellness Fridays (year-round)
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance & Tuition Reimbursement (after 12 months of service)
- Robust Employee Assistance Program (for you and your loved ones)
- Annual Well-Being Allowance which includes Fitness, Travel, Home Enhancements, Nutrition, and Spa Treatment Reimbursements
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All UMG employees are currently required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or provide proof of a negative PCR or Antigen test before entering any Company offices unless they have been approved for an exemption or unless prohibited by applicable law.
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.