Situation in Organization
The Transportation Manager reports directly to the Supply Chain Manager, Hydrogen Peroxides.
The Transportation Manager leads the H2O2 Business Unit logistics strategy to ensure the efficient and economical delivery of the organization's products. Responsible for the BU’s carrier strategy and execution as well as fleet & asset management. This role works closely with Business Unit Supply Chain, Customer Service, Commercial, and Plant team members, as well as Arkema support functions, especially Corporate Logistics.
Key Activities and Responsibilities
Logistics Management 50%
- Evaluate and improve transportation and distribution systems, ensuring robust coverage and high service levels to customers
- Monitor carrier performance and key supply chain KPIs OTS and OTIF
- In coordination with Corporate Logistics, provide input to strategic decisions involving transportation selection
- Responsible for ensuring that operations are conducted safely and within the law
- Develop and maintain positive operational carrier relationships and implement improvement initiatives as needed
- Determine the appropriate number of dedicated drivers by carrier and location based on sales volumes and required service levels
- Act as subject matter expert and point of escalation for customer service team in resolving transportation issues and expediting shipments
- Perform in depth freight cost analysis and make recommendations for new network opportunities
- Provide carrier rates and transit times upon request.
- Provide daily monitoring and support for sites of Transportation Management System (TMS), creation of shipments, and execution of carrier selection
- Act as Project Manager for Logistics optimization initiatives
Equipment Fleet Planning 30%
- Maintain master list of all equipment, for fleet of 240+ railcars, 120+ tank trailers, and 4+ isotanks/chassis, including lease timing and costs, inspection history and requirements, and technical factors
- Maintain Fleet models and sizing based on product volume budgets and long-term plans
- Ensure that models, short – and long-term, take into account regulatory and maintenance plans
- Identify and implement fleet optimization and cost saving initiatives in order to improve operational capabilities
- Manage fleet tracking systems and execute new tracking initiatives
- Track the locations of the railcar fleet. Watch for non-moving railcars and intervene appropriately with railroads.
Equipment maintenance planning and execution 10%
- Track inspection and other regulatory requirements for the Hydrogen Peroxides fleet of railcars, trailers, and isotanks.
- Monitor movement of railcars through the HM201 inspection and maintenance process. Keep contact with third party service providers to expedite movements and return railcars to the operating fleet in a timely manner.
- Maintain and provide equipment documentation as required (Registrations, etc)
Cost Processing, tracking, and improvement 10%
- Validate coding on vendor invoices relating to equipment and logistics
- File damage or overcharge claims with carriers as required
- Monitor costs related to dedicated drivers, tracking shortfall from minimum requirements
- Track and report monthly Suboptimal Freight for shipments performed outside of planned routes
- Track maintenance costs for consistency with maintenance/inspection plan and budget/forecast. Analyze variances, perform root cause analysis and implement corrective actions when appropriate processes.
Context and Environment
- 25% travel (U.S. and Canada)
- Safety is the #1 priority for this role, as it handles hazardous goods
- Understanding the customer needs and maintaining a high service level is the second priority.
- Getting the work done in the most cost efficient manner possible is the third priority.
- Supports the site HES policy and complies with all regulatory and internal requirements
- Participates in HES activities provided by site management and Arkema Inc. (e.g., Behavioral Base Safety, SafeStart, etc.)
- Supports and promotes the reporting of all health, safety, environmental, near-miss, accident or injury incidents
Required Education / Qualifications / Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain, Logistics, Business or Technical Field
- 7 to 10 years of experience in Logistics
- Knowledge of the transportation industry, cost factors, DOT regulations, and environmental influences.
- Solid knowledge of supply chain management and understanding of warehouse procedures
- Experience working with carriers to ensure that the truckers understand the importance of their role
- DOT experience
- Experience in HAZMAT shipping preferred
- Experience in Transportation Management Systems SAP, including MM/PP, SD and F&P
- Demonstrated proficiency in project management
- Proven ability to make effective decisions by analyzing information and considering priorities
- Demonstrated ability quickly adapt to change
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Strong problem solving and communication skills
- Effective negotiation skills
- Strong planning, organizing, and prioritizing skills required
- A reputation for follow-through and maintaining relationships in spite of conflict
Building on its unique set of expertise in materials science, Arkema offers a portfolio of first-class technologies to address ever-growing demand for new and sustainable materials. With the ambition to become in 2024 a pure player in Specialty Materials, the Group is structured into three complementary, resilient and highly innovative segments dedicated to Specialty Materials - Adhesive Solutions, Advanced Materials, and Coating Solutions - accounting for some 80% of Group sales, and a well-positioned and competitive Intermediates segment. Arkema offers cutting-edge technological solutions to meet the challenges of, among other things, new energies, access to water, recycling, urbanization and mobility, and fosters a permanent dialogue with all its stakeholders. The Group reported sales of €8.7 billion ($9.7 billion) in 2019, and operates in 55 countries with 20,500 employees worldwide.
The diversity of its employees is an asset that the Arkema group wants to preserve. Its non-discrimination policy applies to recruitment, salary levels and career management. The Arkema group is committed to ensuring diversity among its employees.
Arkema Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Arkema Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence.
Transportation, Genetics, ERP, Law, Coating, Engineering, Science, Technology, Legal, Manufacturing