The Ott Scientific family of companies comprises Polysciences, Bangs Laboratories, and Ethos Biosciences. Together, we bring the whole of our experience with best-in-class facilities and scientific, technical, analytical, and manufacturing capabilities to serve customers around the globe. We deliver highly specialized products and services that support scientific discovery and innovations.
Polysciences technical operations and scientific laboratories offer custom synthesis, contract manufacturing and packaging, and laboratory products. We are proud to offer a broad range of products and tailored solutions for the life sciences, bioprocessing, microparticles, medical device, specialty chemical and eChem industries. We adhere to ISO13485:2016, FDA cGMP 21 CFR 820 regulations, and SOCMA’s ChemStewards® Management System. We believe the best scientific innovations are built through collaborations.
Our Contract Manufacturing business unit provides solid, liquid, and high viscosity custom blending and bottle, drum, tube, and pouch filling to our customers. Capabilities include hot-pour, emulsion and gel materials, flammable & hazardous, WFI grade and DI water, ISO 5 or 8 cleanrooms, and in-line labeling.
Synthesis Chemist I– Manufacturing – 1st Shift
We’re looking for a Synthesis Chemist to independently execute established manufacturing processes for our Specialty Products department to the highest safety and quality standards to meet production demand. The ideal candidate will utilize their chemical knowledge to troubleshoot and suggest process improvements to supervisor. This position is working 8 hours 5 days a week or 10 hours 4 days a week. We are located in Warrington, PA. This is a regular, full-time position with benefits.
- Manufacture specialty chemicals utilizing a variety of synthesis and purification techniques. Most work is done in laboratory settings and/or clean rooms. Batches are typically on the g to kg scale and can involve reactors of various sizes ranging in size up to 100 liters.
Expected job duties include:
- Synthesis including but not limited functionalization, polymerization, esterification
- Purification methods including but not limited to distillation, extraction, filtration, chromatography
- Typical equipment used includes but not limited to:
glass reactors in sizes ranging for a couple liters to 20, 22, 50 and 100 liters; rotovaps, vacuum and atmospheric distillation equipment, vacuum and atmospheric ovens, filters and filter kettles, mills/milling operations, operation of temperature-controlled heating and cooling equipment
- Chemicals involved are numerous and vary in hazard. Chemical handling and operations do involve various types of PPE including respirators of various types/ lab coats, and protective suits and other Industrial Hygiene controls as needed.
- Document production activities on batch record using good documentation practices.
- Independently performs production activities according to the production schedule and is accountable for achieving quality and throughput targets.
- Train and mentor other chemists and technicians as directed.
- Train and comply with the site QMS and ISO procedures.
- Accurately complete batch records that apply to designated production processes and production areas
- Support company inventory management goals to reduce inventory disposal cost by adhering to inventory control procedures and increasing accuracy of inventory transactions and documentation
- Follow all company safety procedures and wear appropriate PPE at all times
- Maintain a safe and clean work area and perform 5S sustain activities to be audit ready Manat all times
- Use advanced chemistry knowledge to support process improvement
- Perform routine equipment and laboratory preventive maintenance and cleaning
Polysciences is a climate controlled federally regulated chemical production facility. The following is a representative list of what a co-worker might encounter during a typical workday:
- Hot surfaces
- Cryogenic materials
- Pressurized or vacuum vessels
- Cleanroom environment
- Co-workers regularly handle hazardous materials, and the required PPE includes, but is not limited to wearing respirators, lab coats, Tyvek suits, gloves, hairnets, facial masks and shoe covers.