Facility: GEORGE W. HILL CORRECTIONAL FACILITY
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Supervises and evaluates the performance of nursing and clerical staff. Evaluates and provides comprehensive nursing care in a correctional setting while observing and maintaining the requirements of security.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains a good working relationship with correctional personnel, nursing staff, contract providers, and outside provider agencies.
- Utilizes established corporate and correctional policies and procedures in making decisions.
- Responsible for staff scheduling and supervision including:
- Assisting management in recruiting, orienting, supervising and evaluating the performance of nursing and clerical staff.
- Directs the work of other nursing and clerical staff. This includes the selection, hiring, evaluating job performance, employee training/development, promoting and any disciplinary action, including termination
- Staff Scheduling:
- Ensures adequate coverage on all shifts.
- Fills in as needed during periods of short staffing
- Monitors call-ins and use of overtime.
- Monitors staff compliance with facility policies and unit directives by counseling employees who violate policies established by the company or the facility, after consultation with management.
- Ensures the proper flow of relevant information (policies, procedures, in-service, problems, etc.) to supervisor and supervised personnel.
- Monitors and ensures strict staff compliance with all applicable pharmacy laws.
- Organizes monthly in-service education. Ensures that staff receives in-service as required.
- Arranges for staff participation in off-facility workshops for CEUs and current nursing practice.
- Maintains current licensure on all staff requiring such licensure.
- Organizes daily activities and ensures adequate staffing for these activities.
- Maintains shift assignments.
- Reports any staff problems to management on a regular basis.
- Ensures adequate supplies and pharmaceuticals to meet the needs of the detainee/inmate population. Reports any over-usage, vendor problems, needs, recommendations and budgetary concerns to management.
- Ensures that detainees/inmates arriving at the facility are adequately oriented to services available and procedure for obtaining medical services.
- Ensures that all detainees/inmates assigned to work as medical orderlies are trained in the handling of contaminated waste and proper cleaning of contaminated surfaces. Monitors their compliance with instructions.
- Performs random audits of medical records, logs, sharps, narcotic counts, outside referrals and sick call, etc. Counsel employees or provide in-service for noted errors. All findings shall be submitted to the management for review and recommendations.
- Participates in quality assurance activities. Makes recommendations for monitoring needs and plans activities for correcting deficiencies. Reports problem areas in writing to management.
- Monitors the assignments, review of records, and care plans of the chronic disease clinics ensuring follow through per policies and procedures.
- Reviews activities of infection control nurse and makes recommendations for containment of infections.
- Assists management in monitoring environmental sanitation, safety and health related issues by performing inspections. Generates recommendations based on inspections and review of other inspections to management for further management dissemination.
- Responds to informal grievances from inmates to management’s designee. Reports any grievance with potential liability to the management for his/her information and consideration of action.
- Monitors care of serious medical conditions with the potential for life threatening or liability issues for appropriate follow-through.
- Assumes on-call status for staff problems. Assumes on-call status in absence of direct management.
- Performs other duties as assigned.