Holtec International and its subsidiary companies are designing an unfailingly safe and secure source of clean energy using nuclear fission, called the SMR-160 small modular reactor. The position is offered by SMR LLC as a member of the Holtec International family, a global turnkey supplier of equipment and systems for nuclear, solar, geothermal, and fossil power generation sectors of the energy industry.
The Senior Probabilistic Safety Analysis (PSA) Engineer for External Events will be responsible for leading, performing, and mentoring other PSA engineers on the techniques and requirements associated with performing external event PSAs. These PSAs include seismic margins analysis, internal fires, external floods, and high wind PSAs, as well as site specific external hazards PSAs as identified for specific plant locations.
The ideal Senior PSA Engineer for External Events will have in-depth experience with developing at least one external event PSA and will have the knowledge and experience to act as an informed leader to help determine and procure the technical needs required to support the performance of other external hazards assessments. The ideal Senior PSA Engineer for External Events will have experience with the CAFTA suite of computer codes and will be capable of integrating the external PSA with the internal events PSA to perform external events quantification, uncertainty analysis, and sensitivity analysis. Experience with cut set reviews, Internal Flood PSA development and Low Power and Shutdown PSA development is highly desirable. The Senior Engineer will be part of a team executing a U.S. Government cost-shared development program requiring efficient completion of engineering assignments.
Specific Areas of Responsibility:
- Lead and execute key external events PSA activities as a member of the multinational PSA team, including engineering analyses and technical documentation.
- Provide mentoring to other PSA team members on external events PSA development.
- Provide advice and recommendations to management on specific external events advice and technical expertise required to support external events PSA.
- Gain a deep understanding of the SMR-160 concept design, its safety features and design functions of the plant’s Systems, Structures, and Components (SSC).
- Interact with team members from other disciplines and vendors.
- Prepare and review design deliverables and presentations.
- Develop and implement PSA methodologies for external events.
- Performing quantification, uncertainty analysis, and sensitivity analysis.
- Support development of engineering and licensing documentation.
- Applicants should be prepared to play an active role in a project-driven and highly integrated engineering team.
- B.S. degree in Nuclear Engineering, Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or closely related field of engineering with 10+ years of progressive experience in PSA.
- 5+ years of experience in external events PSA modeling, including internal fire, seismic margins, high winds, or other external events PSA development.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and computer skills.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and capable of producing error-free documents.
- Eligible to work under 10 CFR Part 810.
Optional Additional Qualifications:
- Advanced degree in Nuclear Engineering, Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or closely related field of engineering.
- Experience in commercial nuclear or naval nuclear design and/or operation.
- Experience in safety analysis of Pressurized Water-type reactors (PWR).
- Experience with using CAFTA, MELCOR, RELAP and/or other conventional computer codes for NPP model development and risk quantification.
- Experience with Thermal-Hydraulic Analysis and/or Component Reliability Analysis and/or Human Reliability Analysis will be an asset.
- Experience in Low Power/Shutdown, Internal Flood, Internal Events PSA modeling will be an asset.