Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an international biopharmaceutical company focused on improving patients’ lives by identifying, developing and commercializing meaningful products that address unmet medical needs. We are continuing to expand our commercial product portfolio and our research and development pipeline in therapeutic areas that can leverage our unique expertise.
Our therapeutic areas of focus include sleep and hematology/oncology – areas in which we have a deep understanding of the patient journey and a suite of products and product candidates to address critical needs.
We are looking for the best and brightest talent to join our team. If you’re looking to be a part of a company with an unwavering commitment to improving patients’ lives and being a great place to work, we hope you’ll explore our career openings and get to know Jazz Pharmaceuticals.
The Senior Franchise Counsel, Neuroscience is accountable for providing strategic legal advice and counsel to the North America business on a broad array of issues related to the commercialization, launch, marketing, and sale of pharmaceuticals in the U.S., including, among other things, application and interpretation of FDA regulations, the False Claims Act, Anti-Kickback Statute, competition law in connection with regulatory strategy, product labeling, promotional and non-promotional activities, medical and marketing strategies, sales compensation, and interactions with patients and healthcare professionals. As a dedicated strategic legal partner, the Senior Franchise Counsel provides substantive advice to cross-functional departments including the Global Franchise and Molecule Teams, Global Commercial Development and Planning, North America Commercialization Team, Medical Affairs, and Regulatory Affairs. Ideal candidates have strong leadership skills and extensive experience providing brand/commercial related legal support in the areas noted and in advising business stakeholders in all levels of an organization, including senior and executive management, as well as the ability to lead and/or play a significant role in special projects and on cross-functional teams dealing with complicated legal issues. The type of strategic counseling required at this level requires an appreciation of the immediate and long-term impact that legal decisions may have on the overall global business.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc (NASDAQ: JAZZ) is a global biopharmaceutical company whose purpose is to innovate to transform the lives of patients. We are focused on developing life-changing medicines for people with serious diseases — often with limited or no options — so they can live their lives more fully. By transforming biopharmaceutical discoveries into novel medicines, we are working to give people around the world the opportunity to redefine what’s possible – to make the “small wins” big again.
Through continued investment in an evolving and growing research and development focus, we seek solutions for rare or complex diseases, and ensure those solutions are available for the often-overlooked patients who need them. Our approach has allowed us to shepherd new medicines to market – from late-stage discovery through clinical development and regulatory approval.
One motivator drives the work we do: a genuine desire to improve lives. This is a universal truth across the entire organization, no matter the location, therapeutic focus, discipline, or level of the individual.
We know that to innovate to transform the lives of patients, we must first invest in our people. Our team makes Jazz Pharmaceuticals what it is today. Together, we’re developing meaningful products that address serious unmet medical needs. We’re passionate about helping to change and save lives, and from day one we are connected by the knowledge that we’re making an important difference by providing our medicines to patients across the globe. These aren’t just words. We live and breathe our purpose and values, and every career we build reflects the difference we want to make in the world. Ultimately, we understand how both art and science thrive on improvisation and collaboration within the context of a structured environment — and that when great talents come together in a setting like this, anything is possible. That’s the beauty of Jazz.
We are looking for the best and brightest talent to join our team. If you’re looking to be a part of a company with an unwavering commitment to improving patients’ lives and that’s a great place to work, we hope you’ll explore our career openings. Our interview process may be conducted virtually to protect health of staff and applicant.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Serve as primary legal support for one or more brands and related business functions. This includes providing solutions-oriented legal advice and counsel on marketing and medical affairs strategies, promotional tactics and materials, direct-to-consumer advertising campaigns and programs, FDA labeling, healthcare fraud and abuse laws, anti-kickback statute and other laws impacting the commercialization of pharmaceutical products in the U.S.;
- Utilize strong business acumen and legal expertise to proactively identify, analyze, and navigate potential legal and compliance issues and risks within areas of responsibility and formulate and communicate compliant and practical solutions that meet business objectives;
- Create and deliver effective training and other presentations to stakeholders and other members of the department on legal topics and other relevant subjects;
- Proactively identify the need for, draft, and provide legal advice on corporate policies, SOPs, and guidance documents;
- Serve as part of matrixed teams involved in brand and franchise-related activities and collaborate effectively, find common ground, and build alignment with relevant stakeholders;
- Partner with other members in the Legal and Compliance Departments to ensure consistency in approach across areas of the overall business and providing support for areas outside of their primary areas of responsibility as needed;
- Contribute to strategic planning with partners and colleagues to optimize the implementation of strategies and tactics;
- Keep informed of new laws, regulations, and industry trends affecting the organization;
- Establish strong partnership relationships characterized by a high-level of collaboration and mutual respect with brand and franchise teams, as well as key cross functional teams engaged in activities in support of the franchise;
- Drive increased efficiency, coordination, and effectiveness of legal advice, processes, and support to meet the needs of the business and other key stakeholders;
- Lead and drive special projects and cross-functional teams that have a broader impact on the organization;
- Partner with Legal Department colleagues in executing and enhancing corporate and department objectives;
- Mentor and take an interest in developing more junior members of the team and department;
- Create transparent and reliable lines of communication with legal department leadership and business partners, ensuring that project developments are shared in a timely manner;
- Review and provide feedback on proposed regulation or legislation and assess impact on Jazz business operations; and
- Define, direct, and manage the work of outside counsel and other legal vendors.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 10+ years of combined experience in-house and with a law firm, with some of those years in-house at a biotech or pharmaceutical company;
- Recognized as a technical expert in advising clients on laws and regulations governing the pharmaceutical industry, including but not limited to FDA regulations, False Claims Act, Anti-Kickback Statute, OIG guidance, the PhRMA Code, HIPAA, and product liability laws;
- Demonstrated broad and deep understanding of pharmaceutical industry and regulatory enforcement environment, including fluency in understanding of anti-kickback laws, fraud and abuse laws, and regulations and regulatory guidance by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration and other regulatory authorities relating to clinical trials, medical activities, pharmacovigilance, manufacturing, and regulatory interactions;
- Ability to execute all aspects of role independently with little supervision and with the highest integrity and ethics;
- Must be self-motivated, proactive, strategic, a good listener, exhibit excellent judgment;
- Capable of delivering difficult messages and providing legal advice with tact, poise, and diplomacy;
- Possess the ability and willingness to advance new ideas and recognize when decisions may have a broad impact on the global organization;
- Ability to lead others, as well as lead and manage multiple projects, while remaining organized and delivering successfully in a fast-paced, evolving environment;
- Consistently take action and drive issues to closure and hold self and others accountable for achieving results;
- Must be a strong collaborator and adept at understanding the motivation and needs of others and effectively communicating with a diverse audience, including senior leaders, in a manner that generates confidence and support for proposals/recommendations;
- Legal analysis and advice is well thought out and accurate, potential legal and compliance issues are consistently identified, and the Senior Franchise Counsel, Neuroscience takes ownership and responsibility for legal issues that arise within the function(s) and client groups supported;
- Must consistently demonstrate leadership behaviors and ability within the Franchise Legal team, the Legal Department, and within the broader organization;
- Demonstrated experience working in a matrixed business environment, managing multiple commitments while prioritizing conflicting demands, maintaining focus on corporate objectives and providing quality customer service;
- Demonstrated ability to proactively independently identify, analyze, and render legal advice on complex business issues and general corporate matters;
- A global business enterprise view, with recognition of the potential operational implications of corporate legal issues;
- Excellent critical thinking skills; ability to work through complex issues, including those with significant strategic risk to company;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; and
- Demonstrates and models the Jazz values:
- Focus on delivering solutions that helps patients,
- Direct and honest in communication and feedback,
- Demonstrates consistency between words and actions,
- Develops and sustains cooperative productive partnerships,
- Demonstrates passion for the job, organization, and company,
- Demonstrates strong accountability for results, performance, standards, and continuous improvement, and
- Open to new approaches and embraces change.
Required Education and Licenses
- U.S. Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree; active law license in at least one U.S. jurisdiction.
Description of Physical Demands
- Periodic travel throughout the United States and Europe required.
- Occasional mobility within office environment.
- Routinely sitting for extended periods of time.
- Constantly operating a computer, printer, telephone and other similar office machinery.
Description of Work Environment
- Work indoors in normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, fumes, vibrations and temperature changes.
- Frequent computer use at workstation.
- May move from one work location to another occasionally.
- Responsibilities may require a work schedule that may include working outside of “normal” hours, in order to meet business demands.
- Occasional public contact requiring appropriate business apparel.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.