About Wells Fargo
Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC) is a diversified, community-based financial services company with $1.98 trillion in assets. Founded in 1852, Wells Fargo provides banking, insurance, investments, mortgage, and consumer and commercial financial services through more than 7,400 locations, 13,000 ATMs, online (wellsfargo.com), and mobile devices.
We’re headquartered in San Francisco, but we’re decentralized so every local Wells Fargo location is a headquarters for satisfying our customers’ financial needs and helping them succeed financially. We do business with 70 million customers and one in three U.S. households. Wells Fargo has approximately 263,000 team members in 31 countries and territories across our more than 90 businesses.
Wells Fargo & Company was ranked No. 30 on Fortune’s 2020 rankings of America’s largest corporations.
Wells Fargo Internal Audit
The Audit group reports to the Board of Directors, conducting audit testing and reporting on the health of the risk management and internal control structure within the company. It advises line of business leaders on risk management practices and control structures. Additionally, the group ensures risk issues are escalated and resolved. Results of internal audits are subject to quality assurance reviews and external regulatory examinations.
Audit is comprised of approximately 1,500 team members covering audit work across the company and is responsible to protect customers, team members, and communities by reducing risk.
The Sr. Audit Director will be responsible for building and managing a team focused on providing oversight of Audit issues and managing regulatory relations for Audit. This individual will develop the strategic direction, implementation and ongoing oversight of all aspects of the audit activities related to validation of regulatory and non-regulatory issues and proactive management of Audit’s regulatory engagement strategy. The Senior Director will lead a team of approximately fifteen highly skilled individuals and will be responsible for the following:
- Provide thought leadership on industry best practices, regulatory themes, changes and emerging risks and contribute to maturation and evolution of audit oversight for issue management and engagement with the regulators.
- Implement strong governance and processes to direct and drive consistent standards for project audits, regulatory issue management and business monitoring activities across Audit teams. This would include application of methodology, procedures, templates, practices and escalation processes.
- Build and maintain Audit’s regulatory engagement strategy focused on driving a consistent and well thought-out approach to managing regulatory exams, day-to-day regulatory engagement, understanding and addressing areas of regulatory focus. Analyze regulatory review reports and formulate action plans to address regulator concern and track to completion.
- Coordinate with Chief Audit Directors to provide credible challenge during annual planning process to confirm consistency of approach across Audit team, appropriateness of budgets and areas of focus including detailed Audit schedule.
- Represent Audit as a highly engaged, visible, and influential leader.
- Identify thematic risk trends observed across the enterprise for purposes of influencing strategic direction and risk management process maturity.
- Management of people aspects of audit including resource management, skills gap assessments, learning and development, team member engagement, and other retention strategies
- Maintain a diverse and engaged team with the appropriate level of subject matter expertise.
- Develop effective working relationships with Senior Leadership within Audit, key functional partners, Independent Risk Managements, and the regulators.
- Direct and develop continuous enhancement of internal and external formal reporting, audit review and analysis, and ensure accuracy and efficiency in communicating results to management and regulatory compliance agencies.
The successful candidate for this role will be experienced leading audit teams and have an extensive understanding of and experience in independent and front line risk management. S/he will be an effective builder and leader of high performing teams focused on collaborative leadership and team member engagement; keep up with fast-paced organizational change, managing and caring for team members through that change.
This collaborative leader must be capable of initiating action and possess strong vision, execution and relationship management skills across the organization, as well as with the regulators. A key differentiator will be the ability to understand and operate successfully in a matrixed corporate environment. The role requires a sense of personal accountability for achievement and outcomes.
- 12+ years of experience in audit or risk functions including leading teams covering risk identification, mitigation, and management (includes audit, legal, credit risk, market risk, technology risk, or the management of a process or business with accountability for risk.)
- 8+ years of management experience
- Experience at a financial institution or accounting firm
- A BS/BA degree or higher
- Leadership experience
- Solid knowledge and understanding of audit or risk methodologies and supporting tools
- Strong understanding of financial regulatory environment
- Certification in one or more of the following: CPA, CAMS, CRCM, CIA, CISA or Commissioned Bank Examiner designation
Other Desired Qualifications
Ability to travel up to 20% of the time
- All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.