The Senior Accountant is responsible for performing general, cost and financial accounting functions. This includes developing and executing processes to ensure timely and accurate financial closings, internal management reporting, and supporting analysis. The position supports operational analysis through development and review of cost accounting data including standard costing, work-in-process review and analysis and manufacturing variance analysis. This position also supports development of budgets and forecasts for the organization and will partner with multiple cross functional team members both at corporate and the respective business units to develop and achieve operational objectives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
General and Cost Accounting
- Performs financial, general and cost accounting functions for the organization in accordance with GAAP and Corporate policies.
- Executes monthly financial closing program including journal entry preparation, bank/account reconciliations, and variance analysis within prescribed timelines.
- Assists in maintaining the organization’s system of accounts and ensures adequate support and documentation for all company transactions.
- Analyzes and reports on manufacturing variances and identifies corrective action opportunities.
- Ensures proper inventory valuation and maintains controls over all physical inventory including cycle counting, cost analysis, variance analysis and physical inventory counts.
- Conducts standard cost development including materials, labor and overhead rates and utilizes internal and external data to establish accurate costing.
- Serves as a subject matter expert on all financial and cost modules and interfaces for ERP systems.
- Assists in providing required support for all tax matters related to the organization.
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly and semi-annual State Sales Tax returns. Perform internal audits at all SP locations, assuring
sales tax exemption certificates have been received and maintained. Streamline and improve the process.
- Serve as primary contact for Sales Tax Audits and works with divisions to support positions.
- Regularly monitor all SP locations for Use Tax compliance.
- Prepare consolidating work papers supporting year-end financial statement preparation/consolidation and assist in MD&A preparation.
- Performs all Fixed Asset accounting and maintenance via the FAS system and supports monitoring of Capital Expenditures
- Assist in Treasury functions and cash management (including daily cash monitoring/projections).
Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Supports the Controller in preparing monthly financial statements and reporting
- Develops, analyzes, and reconciles statistical and accounting information for monthly and quarterly financial and balance sheet reviews.
- Assesses operating results in terms of profitability and performance against plan/prior year to ensure accuracy and identify opportunities.
- Participates in annual strategic planning and budgeting, periodic forecasting, and management reporting processes.
- Serves as a primary point of contact for internal and external financial audits related to operations including client prepared schedule list.
- Maintains effective internal controls to ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Corporate requirements.
- Conducts monitoring of all sales and margin related changes and provides analysis of performance versus expectations and market trends.
- Prepares consolidation of Weekly Sales Forecast Reporting and coordinates weekly review meetings.
- Prepare analysis and discussions of key business drivers and supports monthly business review meeting process.
- Assist with ad hoc reporting and analysis projects.
- Make recommendations that will have significant impact on overall company performance
- May direct the work of others within the department
- Provides support to peers and colleagues to help achieve departmental goals.
Strong technical and analytical skill with solid financial, general and cost accounting background in a manufacturing and distribution environment. Experience with standard cost systems and integrated financial software. Ability to draw upon experience/professional skepticism to quickly identify issues and develop effective courses of action. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Composes documents that clearly present information or a plan
- Participate in cross-functional teams working collaboratively with engineering, manufacturing, packaging, materials management, and/or planning.
- Willingness to work across all levels of an organization.
- Ability to work across cultures.
- Able to manage conflict.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- S. or BA in Accounting or related discipline with equivalent work experience
- 5+ years finance, accounting or related work experience required.
- Experience in a manufacturing/cost accounting environment required.
- Previous experience with accounting software/systems required
- Advanced financial analysis and quantitative skills
- Excellent accounting analysis and research skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office tools including Word and PowerPoint. Exceptional Excel skills required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- CPA, CMA or similar professional accounting designations preferred but not required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Position requires individual to work on-site
- Sit for any period of time
- Use hands to type on a computer
- Talk on the phone
- Work extended hours upon occasion
- Heavy lifting is NOT required
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is performed in a typical interior office environment.
EEO and Affirmative Action Statement:
SP is an Equal Opportunity Employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis and takes affirmative action to ensure equal employment opportunities. It is our policy to provide our employees and applicants with equal employment opportunities in accordance with applicable laws and not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, marital status, sex, gender identification, sexual orientation, genetic information, political belief, pregnancy, citizenship, handicap or disability, status as a veteran or member of the U.S. military, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SP's Affirmative Action Plan is available through the HR Department and may be accessed during normal business hours.
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision:
SP will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.