SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 94,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
Scientist with experience working with HPAEC/HILIC and other chromagraphic methods as part of the Biophysical and Physio-Chemical characterization team. As part of an industry leading team become an integral part of this team with a focus on carbohydrates and nucleic acids, Candidate is expected to integrate seamlessly into the group and become part of the matrixed analytical team.
Directly reports to the Team Leader Biophysics
Dotted reporting line to the Team Leader and Director, Biotherapeutic Services
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Perform, analyze, and report analyses related to glycoproteins, N- and O-glycans, complex carbohydrates, and/or other biological molecules using the appropriate instrumentation in place. This would include but not be restricted to: HPAEC-PAD, HILIC-FLD(+/-MS), LC-MS/MS, and MALDI-TOF MS/MS.
• Maintain Carbohydrate-related instrumentation such as LC-MS/MS, MALDI-TOF MS/MS, HPAEC-PAD, HILIC-FLD(-MS) and other instrumentation in the Biophysical, Biologics, or Physio-Chemical Teams as instructed (electrophoresis, UV-Vis, fluorimeter, etc.).
• Ensure turnaround times are met, work is performed safely, and to the specified quality standards under the supervision of Scientists and/or the Team Leaders
• Design and perform detailed and complex sample preparation procedures (e.g., digestions, purifications, buffer exchanges, etc.) while following SOP’s and established test Protocols.
• Cross-train to learn sample preparation and methods to support all methods performed in the Biophysics group.
• At all times, adopt a safe behavior by exercising due regard for the health and safety of yourself, colleagues, and clients in line with the Company’s policies and procedures.
• Adheres to internal standards, policies and procedures.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, biology, or related field AND
• Minimum 2 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry with experience analyzing complex carbohydrates
• Masters or Ph.D. in Chemistry, biology, or related field.
• 5 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry (M.S) or 3 years (Ph.D.) with experience analyzing carbohydrates and/or nucleic acids with a knowledge of cGMP
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES
• Language Skills: English
• Mathematical Skills: Intermediate preferred
• Reasoning Skills/Abilities: Intermediate required
• Computer Skills: Proficiency with standard office computer equipment
• No travel required.
• This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers and phones.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB
Physical/Sensory Demands Frequency Requirements:
• Stand - Occasionally
• Move or traverse - Occasionally
• Sit - Occasionally
• Use hands - Occasionally
• Reach with hands and arms - Occasionally
• Climb or balance - Occasionally
• Stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl - Occasionally
• Talk/hear - Occasionally
• Taste/Smell - Occasionally
• Lift/carry/push or pull - Occasionally
• Lift/carry/push or pull < =5 kg Occasionally
• Low-Exposure: Has an indirect role and no access to operations where failure could result in serious harm to public or employee well-being, Group assets or the environment.
WORK CONDITIONS / EXPOSURE TO ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
Bio-hazard - Occasionally
Moderate noise (examples: business office with computers and printers, light traffic)
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
Perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.