SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
In general, the Scientist is responsible for performing analytical testing and analysis of biopharmaceutical drug substance, drug products, and raw materials, as well as assisting other Analysts in the completion of their tasks.
Directly reports to the Laboratory supervisor
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Conceives, implements, and analyzes experiment to produce data independently.
- Supervises 1 (non-HR) or more junior scientists running a team, group, etc.
- Attends and contributes to Client-facing meetings. Has clear vision to revenue producing activities and is held accountable.
- A person at the Scientist level may be asked to participate in the preparation and review process for laboratory SOPs and forms/worksheets.
- Micropipette usage (single/multi/repeater)
- Visual Acuity to conduct visual inspection for colour, clarity, opalescence, and particulates.
- Demonstrated basic understanding of protein biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology, and/or biophysics
- Perform routine and more complex analysis/testing of pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical finished products and raw materials.
- Conduct trouble shooting where testing/analytical failures occur in liaison with Group/Scientific Leader and designate.
- Inform the Department Manager and/or Group/Scientific Leader, as far in advance as possible, if the assigned work order cannot be satisfactorily completed within established scheduled time and quality of work expectations.
Overall, this position presents the employee with an opportunity to play a key customer service role in the company while simultaneously learning the technical skills required to advance in the field of pharmaceutical analysis.
Supervises others: Yes
Has hiring and terminating responsibilities: No
Number of employees directly reporting to this job:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelors degree in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biology or similar Science Degree.
• Minimum 5 years of experience
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES
• Language Skills: English Advanced knowledge required
• Mathematical Skills: Intermediate level of knowledge required
• Reasoning Skills/Abilities: Intermediate required
• Computer Skills: Proficient in using various types of computer software (Word, Excel. PowerPoint & Outlook).
• Technical competency in two or more of the following:
• Liquid Chromatography
• Instrumental analysis of biologics
• cGMP Compendial Testing
• Plate-based assays, ELISA and/or Cell-based
No travel required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB
Physical/Sensory Demands Frequency Requirements:
• Stand - Frequently
• Move or traverse - Frequently
• Sit - Frequently
• Use hands - Frequently
• Reach with hands and arms - Frequently
• Talk/hear - Constantly
Safety Critical: Has a high exposure to a catastrophic operational incident; has a direct role in operations where failure could result in serious harm to public or employee well-being, Group assets, or the environment; and has no direct or very limited supervision available to provide operational checks.
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
o perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.