The Visiting Nurse Association of Greater Philadelphia is a leading provider of home health, hospice, and palliative care services in Philadelphia and designated areas of Bucks, Delaware, and Montgomery counties. VNA offers a variety of clinical services and is proud of its home health 4.5 star quality rating and free-standing hospice inpatient unit. Since 1886, The Visiting Nurse Association of Greater Philadelphia has remained true to its commitment to help patients remain safe and comfortable at home.
Here is an opportunity to join VNA as a hospice registered nurse.
Hospice Registered Nurse Position Summary: Full-Time Weekday-Full-Time Weekend
Provide professional skilled nursing services to Hospice patients/families in the home or appropriate settings in accordance with standard of professional hospice nursing practice as well as agency policies, procedures, and standards. When appropriate admits patients into the program.
Essential Functions for Hospice Registered Nurse RN:
In this role you role you will collaborate with other members of the hospice interdisciplinary team, client, family, attending physician, other nurses, medical director, social worker, volunteer, and clergy in designing the plan of care for the patient and family through regularly scheduled team meetings and through intermittent contacts as indicated.
- Systematically collects data that are comprehensive, accurate, continuous, and current.
- Uses assessment data to determine nursing diagnosis.
- Demonstrates knowledge of current pain and symptom control interventions and applies this knowledge to care appropriately.
- Reflects sensitivity to special needs of clients from diverse cultures as these needs apply to dying, quality of life, and ethical dilemmas.
- Provides nursing care to patients through regularly scheduled visits and on-call visits as assigned.
- Understands, facilitates, and documents the elements and processes of ethical decision making for clients and families.
- Continuously updates and adjusts care via documented nursing actions which are consistent with recognizing nursing theories and establishes knowledge.
- Supervises Home Health Aide in carrying out the established plan of care and evaluates the effectiveness of the services.
- Teaches and counsels family members, as well as patient, regarding nursing care and emotional needs.
- Participates in Volunteer Training and support groups, Bereavement Support Group, and other community programs as assigned.
- Participates, as appropriate, in the Agency’s educational activities, including new employee orientation and professional student clinical training and agency staff education programs.
- Interprets hospice and VNA services and programs to individuals/families and personnel of other agencies.
- Complies with Agency’s personnel policies and procedures.
- May perform other responsibilities relevant to the position as assigned.
Knowledge and Experience for the Hospice Registered Nurse RN:
- Current, valid license from Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as a Registered Nurse.
- One year’s experience in provision of relevant direct hospice patient care.
- Possession of automobile, valid driver’s license, and auto insurance.
- Availability and ability to be on-call on a regular rotating basis.
- Knowledge/Experience using Home Care Home Base EMR system preferred.
Graduate of an NLN approved and state accredited program for nursing