The Project Manager II - GIS/Asset Management will help grow the Geospatial Information Technology service line in our NJ, NY, and PA offices and throughout our Northeast regional offices to provide expanded, high quality GIS and Asset Management services to public and private sector clients including NJDOT, NJTPA, NJ Turnpike, PANYNJ, NJ Transit, ConnDOT, Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, counties and municipalities. Primary focus will be on geospatial technology projects within the transportation and asset management sectors including application development, data collection/development and GIS system implementations. This is a highly visible position which requires strong interpersonal, communication, management, presentation, and negotiation skills as well as problem-solving abilities. The incumbent will be responsible for helping to guide the direction of the department as well as investments in technology and resources.
The ideal candidate is self-motivated problem solver with a proactive approach that is driven by the challenges that are presented to them by our clients. Their technical expertise has been attained over years of working in roles with increasing complexity and responsibilities to help guide our clients on best practices and industry trends as well as current and leading-edge technology. This individual should have previous experience in a leadership position with increasing roles and responsibilities. The management and development of staff, both technical and professional, will be essential functions of this role as we continue to grow and expand our footprint in the region and at the national level.
Project Delivery & Client Management
- Lead project delivery, QA/QC, and technical guidance on projects through coordination with various stakeholders. This is a key part of the MBI culture in maintaining active senior level leadership in project delivery with our clients.
- Develop and maintain client relationships, generate additional opportunities with new and existing clients.
- Guide and direct clients on the use of geospatial technology, identifying areas to leverage and better utilize its capabilities helping to move our clients forward.
- Support strategic pursuits within the regional portfolio through stakeholder outreach, proposal development and project management execution.
- Lead the proposal, interview, fee development and negotiations for various project pursuits at both a regional and national level when needed.
- Ability to track and qualify sales leads leading to project awards.
- Supervise staff in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Take a proactive approach with advertising openings, interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Guide and mentor staff along with helping to foster a collaborative environment across the department at all levels.
- Recruit and attract talent to the firm.
- Support individual career expansion through mentorship of existing staff of 20+ and with future team members.
- Support business development for the department (pursuits, client engagement and revenue growth).
- Help manage the department’s project portfolio, client engagement and growth strategies.
- Support other disciplines that have existing client relationships and leverage those relationships in search of GIS/AM growth opportunities using your existing GIS knowledge.
- Collaborate with other departmental Project Managers on business pursuits.
- Monitor project performance and financial metrics.
- Support the growth of the department’s internal work share opportunities.
- Connect/cross market GIS/Asset Management capabilities across other disciplines.
- Actively participate and serve as a leader in GIS/AM industry groups and associations (URISA and local GIS User Groups, Professional Engineering /Planning) as a committee member, workshop instructor or speaker at events.
- Leverage technical expertise to drive thought leadership by presenting at conferences, publishing research and whitepapers.
- Coordinate staff participation in key state and regional conferences as well as internal presentations.
- 12+ years of related experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, GIS, Civil Engineering, Planning or related field.
- Ideal candidates will have extensive transportation GIS and Asset Management experience servicing federal, state or local agencies with an emphasis on automation and software development.
- Effective communication skills, strategic thinker with initiative and leadership in the advancement of multi-disciplined services.
- Capable of presenting new technologies and ideas to executive level clients.
- Extensive experience reviewing potential opportunities, leading, and writing proposal responses, developing cost estimates, negotiating fees, and leading interviews.
- Experience creating technical and project documentation and diagrams.
- Experience designing and architecting technology solutions.
- Experience with relational databases such as SQL Server & Oracle.
- Experience with the full Esri software suite and products such as: ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcSDE, ArcGIS Online, and Portal to data models to extensions like Spatial Analyst and Roads and Highways. Open source software is a plus.
- Experience architecting and implementing systems and solutions from concept to delivery including hardware specifications.
- Software development and GIS system automation experience. Specifically experience with .NET, JQuery, React.
- Experience with cloud-based platforms such as AWS and Azure.
- ETL process experience utilizing Python and other scripting languages.
- A deep understanding of data: modeling, scrubbing, manipulation, maintenance, relationships.
- Experience with Linear Referencing Systems (LRS), roadway networks/centerlines and associated datasets is a plus.
- Microsoft Office Suite including MS Project.
- GIS Professional (GISP) and/or Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is desired. Microsoft Professional Certification is a plus.
MICHAEL BAKER INTERNATIONAL EEO STATEMENT
Michael Baker International is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Michael Baker International provides equal employment opportunity for all persons, in all facets of employment. Michael Baker International maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply for any open position for which they feel they are qualified and all will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.
EEO is the Law. Applicants to and employees of Michael Baker International are protected under Federal law from discrimination.