Arkema has established itself as France’s leading chemical producer and a world leader in specialty chemicals and advanced materials. With annual sales of €8.8 billion and 20,000 people employed in some 55 countries, the Group pursues ambitious recruitment objectives both in France and around the world. Arkema offers diverse employment opportunities in 200 job functions and professions in four major fields: industrial, R&D, business, and support functions.
Reaching far beyond your discoveries!
Regarded as one of the world’s leading innovators, Arkema has made research one of the pillars of its strategy. For example by discovering new solutions to help reduce the weight of materials, hence cut down consumption. By developing innovative thermal insulation systems that can optimize the energy performance of buildings. Or by seeking new applications for its biosourced products at the service of greater sustainable development.
Innovative and durable solutions
Our high performance products have applications in wide-ranging areas, from new generation car batteries or telephones to recyclable wind turbine blades, from adhesives for the protective backsheets of solar panels to drinking water filtration systems, from running shoes and acrylic resins with no solvent and no volatile organic compound for 3D printing to molecular sieves for portable oxygen devices used by people suffering from respiratory failure… Joining Arkema means being part of a Group enjoying sustained growth that in little more than a decade has built up an exemplary achievement record, setting high ambitions for itself and for its employees. All our job opportunities are open to people with disabilities at equal merit or with equal skill levels.
Division: Arkema Inc.
Department/Business Group: Corporate Research
Postdoctoral Scientist – Battery Technology and Material
Situation in organization
Individual formally reports to the Scientific Director and is part of a team led by a Principal Scientist at the King of Prussia Research Center; they will work closely with Arkema’s global team.
The scientist will support new lithium-ion battery electrode and separator developments, cell building, and electrochemical testing at Arkema reach center. The scientist will be responsible for establishing structure-property and performance relationships between the individual constituent of the electrode and solvent-free-processes (either aqueous or dry) and actual cells performance. The scientist will work closely with other R&D teams in Arkema. Responsibilities of this position included:
- Physical/chemical characterization of key constituent (i.e. binder, conductive carbon, high nickel active materials, nano-scale metal oxides, separate, electrolyte), identifying of main attributes, and their compatibilities with solvent-free processes
- Design and development of solvent-free formulation /optimization (either for aqueous or dry processes) and fabrication of electrodes, or electrodes/separator composite to achieve energy density and calendar-life targets performance
- Design, assembly, and the testing of different cell formats, and interpretation of results to guide and support battery development
- Conduct electrochemical diagnostics and post-mortem cell analyses to identify failure mechanisms and suggest corrective actions.
- Contribute effectively to product development efforts that are focused on testing and optimizing new binders, separators, electrolytes, and conductive carbons in solvent-free processes (either aqueous of dry) suitable for high-energy lithium ion batteries. 20%
- Develop and carry out characterization techniques, which can identify the key features needed for solvent-free processes to manufacture high-energy lithium ion batteries. 20%
- Develop, implement, and conduct formulation optimization, electrode fabrication, cell manufacturing, and testing methods that can predict how new components will perform in high energy battery systems. 20%
- Provide broad technical knowledge, serve as a technical, and cell expert that can apply fundamental knowledge to advance Arkema’s project in development of new materials and solvent-free processes (either aqueous or dry) for high-energy batteries. 25%
- Work in multi-disciplinary team, interpret analytical data and prepare reports using materials characterization techniques including rheological techniques, SEM, ICP, FTIR, DSC, TGA, XPS, titration, chromatography, porosity, surface characterization, electrochemical techniques such as IES, cyclic voltammetry, conductivity, and impedance measurements at different SOC. 15%
Context and environment
The position is part of a team working on developing new materials and solvent-free processes (either aqueous or dry) for high-energy batteries. The candidate will work collaboratively with other scientists and technical staff at all levels in a hands-on laboratory research environment. He/she will work directly with a Principal Scientist, but will also interface with higher levels of Arkema R&D management and with international colleagues. There may be occasional travel to partner’s sites or conferences (5%).
- Maintain a safe, accident-free workplace and participate in department, site, and corporate safety programs.
- Organize and carry out physical/chemical characterization of new materials and identify their key properties suitable and unique for solvent-free processes (either aqueous or dry) for manufacturing high-energy cells.
- Acquire, interpret analytical data and prepare reports using materials characterization techniques including rheological techniques, SEM, ICP, FTIR, DSC, TGA, XPS, titration, chromatography, porosity, and surface characterization.
- Optimize electrode formulations and fabrication, build and test cells.
- Cell assembly and testing by means of cycling, EIS, and cyclic voltammetry to qualify new materials for high-energy cells
- Identify shortcoming of existing materials for solvent-free processes (either aqueous or dry) and work towards improvement by designing new advance materials.
- Prepare and maintain standard operation procedures, validate methods and equipment, develop and implement new characterization test protocols
- Determine best techniques and the most effective characterization paths to attain the desired information
- Train, guide and define tasks for technicians to facilitate work at high standards
- Ensure compliance for Environmental Health and Safety guidelines and promote improvements to enhance efficiency and safety in the laboratories and other work areas. Document lab work in electronic notebook regularly. Summarize results and conclusions in monthly progress reports. Contribute to the written research reports when necessary.
- Accurate and timely communication of results and problems or obstacles to the project team.
Qualifications / experience required
- Broad knowledge of material science, physical chemistry, and/or colloid science with understanding of materials relevant to lithium-ion batteries. Knowledge and experience with formulation and cell manufacturing is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research independently, analyze data and draw sound conclusions from own results and results of others through application of statistical techniques.
- Knowledge of safe lab practices and able to instill a safe working culture in the team.
- Advanced degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in Chemistry, Material Science, Engineering, or similar relevant field.
- Strong hands-on laboratory skills. Demonstrated ability to conduct experiments carefully and critically in a dynamic environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (in English) and ability to present results clearly and concisely to a variety of audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to collaborate with both internal and external technical/commercial groups.
- Per the DOE (Department of Energy) requirements, the candidate must be a United States citizen
A designer of materials and innovative solutions, Arkema shapes materials and creates new uses that accelerate customer performance. Our balanced business portfolio spans high-performance materials, industrial specialties and coating solutions. Our globally recognized brands are ranked among the leaders in the markets we serve. Reporting annual sales of €8.8 billion ($10.4 billion USD) in 2018, we employ approximately 20,000 people worldwide and operate in close to 55 countries. We are committed to active engagement with all our stakeholders. Our research centers in North America, France and Asia concentrate on advances in bio-based products, new energies, water management, electronic solutions, lightweight materials and design, home efficiency and insulation.
Arkema Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Arkema Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence.
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Chemistry, Genetics, Scientific, Engineer, Scientist, Science, Engineering