SP Industries is seeking a Manufacturing Engineer with mechanical, electrical, and controls experience to support the manufacturing needs of fabrication and assembly. This individual optimizes processes, tooling, and fixtures for cost effectiveness while meeting engineering and quality specifications. The Manufacturing Engineer ensures all required manufacturing documentation is complete and accurate and meets the quality management system requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Apply structured problem solving methodologies to system, electrical, and mechanical issues.
- Develop, evaluate, and improve manufacturing methods.
- Analyze and plan work force utilization, space requirements, and workflows, and design the layout of equipment
and workspaces for maximum efficiency.
- Confer with planning and design staff concerning product design and tooling to ensure efficient production
- Confer with vendors to determine product specifications and arrange for the purchase of equipment, materials, or
- Evaluate products according to specifications and quality standards.
- Confer with management, engineering, and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, production
schedules, and other considerations to facilitate the production processes.
- Electronic control system validation experience.
- Read, understand, develop, and modify control system design documents including diagrams, drawings (P&ID,
control system schematics, wiring drawings, I/O lists, pneumatic and hydraulic drawings, etc.) and written design
specifications (Functional Specifications, Users Manuals, Sequence of Operations, etc.).
- Develop and install control systems in a cost effective and timely manner in accordance with project schedules,
budgets, customer requirements, and equipment specifications.
- Report on and/or present progress and status of projects and assignments in various formats to internal and
- Perform value analysis and sustaining engineering tasks, and product improvement designs to enhance
manufacturability, productivity, reliability, safety, quality, and cost effectiveness.
- Provide assistance to Technical Support and Service personnel.
- Some travel to other SP facilities, vendors, or customer sites may be necessary. Some travel may be foreign.
Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, and Certifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual should possess the minimum qualifications cited.
Education, Experience, and Work Skills
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering required - A BS in Mechanical, Electrical, or Computer Science is preferred.
- 3+ years experience in a manufacturing environment, with exposure to fabrication and assembly processes,
techniques and procedures is preferred.
- Computer skills to include Microsoft Office products- Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Strong analytic skills are required.
- Good knowledge of technical instructions, schematics, blueprints and product specifications.
- Must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to support manufacturing needs and balance multiple priorities.
- Must have good computer skills.
- Able to work with vendors, customers, and employees.
- Must excel at working in a team environment.
- Possess a general understanding of capital equipment manufacturing, documentation requirements, and general
fabrication and assembly procedures.
- Experience with validation procedures and change-control practices relating to control system development and
modification is a plus.
- Experience with computer-based Bills of Material and Inventory Control processes and MRP is a plus.
- Experience with a Quality Management System based on the ISO-9001:2008 standard is a plus.
- Experience with systems integration involving multiple vendors is a plus.
- Experience with refrigeration systems control is a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is regularly required to talk and listen.
- The employee is regularly required to use color vision and work with computerized data.
- The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and sit.
- The employee is regularly required to use normal office tools, equipment and PC's.
- The employee is regularly required to lift up to 25 pounds or move heavier items with hand trucks, dollies, carts or other material handling equipment.
The work environment characteristics described here are typical of those an employee might encounter while performing
essential functions of this job.
- Work is normally performed in both the office and the shop.
- The office environment is an interior office with air conditioning.
- The shop contains mobile equipment, machinery, and high voltages.
- The shop noise level is variable and may require hearing protection in some areas.
- The shop is heated when required but many areas are not air conditioned.
- Some shop processes use high voltage arcs or concentrated magnetic fields.
- The shop contains open flames and caustic chemicals.
As we continue to grow and provide leading edge products to our customers, we understand hiring the right people and treating them well is critical to our success. There are many exciting reasons to join the SP Team.
- We provide a wide range of innovative and high-quality scientific products that improve people’s lives
- We are customer-focused and value our team’s expertise.
- We respect each other and foster a collaboration work environment.
- We innovate and are open to change.
- We are responsible, accountable and act with integrity.
- WE LIKE WHAT WE DO
SP Industries Offers
- We are proud to provide a comprehensive benefits program focused on your total well-being
- Competitive compensation package
- A robust health and welfare benefits package that includes: Life, Health, Dental, Vision
- The opportunity to plan for the future with a strong 401(K) including company match!
- Time to recharge with Paid Time Off annually + Paid Holidays
- Career Advancement Opportunities and Tuition Assistance to help you achieve your goals and continue your career growth.
EEO and Affirmative Action Statement:
SP is an Equal Opportunity Employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis and takes affirmative action to ensure equal employment opportunities. It is our policy to provide our employees and applicants with equal employment opportunities in accordance with applicable laws and not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, marital status, sex, gender identification, sexual orientation, genetic information, political belief, pregnancy, citizenship, handicap or disability, status as a veteran or member of the U.S. military, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision:
SP will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.