At NuScale, diversity enhances our entrepreneurial, technological and philanthropic spirit.. We strive to build an inclusive culture that celebrates individuality, which fuels our innovation and connects us closer to the global mission we serve: to provide a clean energy future for all humankind. NuScale is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, or veteran status.
2022 INTERNSHIP PROGRAM: For 2022, NuScale Power is will be doing a national search to fill multiple paid internship opportunities that will last throughout the academic year. Each of these positions will be remote for the majority of the year, with an option to work in NuScale’s Corvallis, OR offices during the summer pending circumstances surrounding COVID-19 guidelines. Our teams will work with interns on flexible work schedules so school can remain a priority, with the ability to ramp up to 40 hours/week during breaks.
Some of the key areas of interest include:
- Engineering (Mechanical, Nuclear, Electrical, Chemical, Software, Manufacturing, Industrial, etc)
- Research & Development
- Supply Chain
- Program Management
- Marketing & Communications
ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible, students must be enrolled in an accredited, 4-year undergraduate degree program at a Junior or Senior standing, or pursuing an advanced degree. Due to timeliness and our necessary compliance with obtaining government approved authorizations, consideration is limited to those students currently eligible to work in the United States per 10 CFR Part 810 rules, and we are unable to consider students authorized to work on F-1 or M-1 Visas.
POSITION SUMMARY: The manufacturing engineer intern will assist in technical supplier oversight regarding manufacturing and supply chain development projects for the NuScale design. The manufacturing engineer intern will provide assistance to NuScale design organizations regarding manufacturing and supply chain development, specify and collect product manufacturing requirements including all standards and specifications, and generally provide support between NuScale design organizations and manufacturing suppliers for technical information and communications. The manufacturing engineer intern will use engineering judgement, codes and standards, and regulatory guidance in the general area of manufacturing and supply chain development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interact with the NuScale design organizations to interpret their needs and requirements to manufacturing entities.
- Contribute to the NuScale design organizations by applying knowledge of product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling, and materials.
- Assist with assigned project engineering duties by preparing requirements documents and schedules, coordinating and monitoring the technical aspects of assigned manufacturing and manufacturing development projects.
- Assist in the development and review of manufacturing plans and manufacturing oversight plans.
- Assist Product Cost Management team with cost estimates and value engineering studies.
- Prepares product and process reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing manufacturing information and trends including statistical analysis of manufacturing trends under supervision.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
CORE COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, the individual should demonstrate competencies in performing the essential functions of this position by performing satisfactorily in each of these competencies.
- Problem solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and reviews information appropriately. Uses own judgment; seeks input from other team members as appropriate for complex or sensitive situations.
- Oral/written communication: Listens carefully and speaks clearly and professionally in all situations. Edits work for accuracy and clarity, Is able to create, read and interpret complex written information. Ability to develop strong interpersonal networks within the organization.
- Planning/organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities, organizes personal and project timelines and deadlines, tracks project timelines and deadlines, and uses time efficiently.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent interruptions, changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability: Consistently on time and at work, responds to management expectations and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Team Building: Capable of developing strong interpersonal networks and trust within the organization.
- Safety Culture: Adheres to the NuScale Safety culture and is expected to model safe behavior and influence peers to meet high standards.
- Quality Assurance: Demonstrates understanding and implementation of quality assurance regulations, standards and guidelines of 10 CFR 50 Appendix B, 10 CFR 21, and ASME NQA-1.
MINIMUM SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
- Education/Certification: Must be currently enrolled in a 4-year accredited undergraduate (Junior or Senior standing) or graduate program in Manufacturing, Welding, Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering.
- Experience: Must have the ability to understand engineering concepts, principles, and theories. Required to demonstrate strong technical writing skills and good communication, computer, presentation, and interpersonal skills as well as possess exceptional organization skills and ability to manage complex projects with multiple work phases.
- Industry Requirements: Eligible to work under Department of Energy 10 CFR Part 810.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to understand and communicate clearly using a phone, personal interaction, and computers.
- Ability to learn new job functions and comprehend and understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately in a rapidly evolving environment.
- The employee frequently is required; to sit and stand; walk; bend, use hands to operate office equipment; and reach with hands and arms.
Disclaimer: Employee(s) must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation efficiently and accurately without causing significant safety threat to self or others. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employee(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all employees in this classification.
COLORADO RESIDENTS ONLY: If you are a Colorado resident and this role is open for remote work, you may be eligible to receive additional information about compensation and benefits for this position, which we will provide upon request. Please send your inquiry to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé] for assistance.