Characteristics of Work
Under supervision of the Personnel Officer, this position serves as a liaison between the Central Office Human Resources Division and District headquarters and field office locations.
Examples of Work
The following examples are intended only as illustrations of various types of work performed. No attempt is made to be exhaustive. Related, similar, or other logical duties are performed as assigned. The Department may require employees to perform functions beyond those contained in job descriptions. The Department may modify job descriptions based on Department needs. The Arkansas Department of Transportation is an "at will" employer.
* Provide overall assistance and support to District management and supervisors regarding interpretation and administration of Human Resources policies, programs, and procedures.
* Consult with and assist District management with assessing staffing needs, recruitment, reviewing candidate applications, verifying employment, checking references, scheduling and conducting job interviews, and assisting supervisors with the hiring process.
* Work with District management and EEO to actively recruit a diverse applicant pool for advertised positions.
* Assist District management and supervisors with communicating changes in policies and procedures.
* Assist with scheduling various meetings and employee programs and events.
* Plan, coordinate, and conduct employee orientation meetings.
* Assist managers and employees with Human Resources systems such as Kronos Workforce Central, Hiring Management Console/Talent Acquisition System, ACE, and other Department software applications as needed.
* Communicate with internal and external applicants regarding employment and the application/selection process.
* Assist managers with performance evaluations and calibration meetings.
* Assist District management and supervisors with inquiries and reviews of employee complaints.
* Assist District management and supervisors with disciplinary action recommendations.
* Assess and provide recommendations on training needs and deliver classroom training, if necessary.
* Attend career fairs as a Department representative for recruiting.
The educational equivalent to a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in human resources management, organizational management, or closely related field; OR the educational equivalent to a high school diploma plus a minimum of four years of experience in the human resources field. Knowledge of human resources management principles, methods, and practices. Knowledge of employment law. Strong organizational skills. Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Well-developed sense of urgency and follow-through. Ability to interpret and apply Department policies and procedures. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and ability to adapt to new technology. Ability to maintain strong cooperative working relationships. Ability to multi-task and balance multiple priorities. Position will require constant travel within assigned District locations and Central Office, including some overnight travel as needed. Valid driver's license.
A criminal background check will be required to determine suitability of employment, and failure to meet these standards may cause the applicant to be rejected or terminated from that position.