The Director of Human Resources is a hands-on leadership role reporting directly to the CEO and working in close collaboration with the leadership team. The Director is responsible for establishing and implementing HR policies programs and initiatives that support the organization’s vision, mission, and desired culture. The Director leads and mentors a team of two and ensures effective and efficient day-to-day operations of the human resources department. This role also oversees the switchboard function.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide leadership of the Human Resources department ensuring performance consistent with the values/mission of the Center.
- Responsible for labor relations issues and activities with Local 1199-C Hospital and Health Care Workers and the SEIU; contract negotiations and interpretation, grievances, and arbitrations.
- Responsible for day-to-day operations including recruiting, employment, compensation, benefits, employee relations, management reporting, policy interpretation, and employee counseling.
- Serve as the primary technical expert on all Human Resource policies and practices and provide consulting advice concerning the interpretation and implementation of Human Resource policies. Revise policies and procedures as necessary.
- Ensure the Affirmative Action Program is maintained, and appropriate data and reports are completed in compliance with federal, state, and city regulations.
- Conduct job analyses to establish the specific requirements of individual jobs for the creation and oversight of job descriptions.
- Ensure adequate staffing levels through effective recruitment and retention programs.
- Administer wage and salary program and make salary determinations.
- Develop and monitor Performance Evaluation Program.
- Oversee employee benefit programs including medical, dental, life, disability, TSA and pension plans.
- Direct payroll input for matters relative to HR: compensation, benefits, and billings.
- Represents employer at unemployment compensation hearings and file appeals, and ensure billing is accurate.
- Develop and supervise a competent, well-trained, and highly motivated staff capable of achieving department goals.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable State and Federal laws and regulations.
- Evaluate and determine training program needs; may deliver some training or contract with third-party resources, as needed.
- Manage all billing functions associated with benefits, union, and other HR-related entities.
- Direct the preparation and maintenance of reports that are necessary to carry out functions of the department. Prepare periodic reports for senior management as necessary or requested.
- Manage relationships at all levels of the organization and work cross functionally on organizational and human capital matters.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or a related discipline; Master's degree preferred.
- SPHR or SHRM-SCP certifications a plus.
- Minimum 10 years proven HR experience, in a human services / healthcare setting with at least 5 years of managerial experience.
- Labor relations experience, including contract negotiation.
- Successful experience in a fast-paced, small HR function, requiring hands-on contribution.
- Excellent verbal and written communication; confident presentation skills.
- Strong relational and interpersonal skills; and ability to build relationships and constructively interact with all levels or the organization.
- Excellent organizational skills, detail orientation, and follow-through skills.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and meet time-sensitive deadlines.
- Sound judgement and critical thinking; strong conflict management and problem-solving abilities