Dedicated Human Resources (HR) business partner to respective senior business leadership and his/her senior staff in the identification and meeting of all HR needs. Serve as primary advisor and HR support sourcing manager for all assigned business(es) senior level (VP and above). Act as a liaison to all Centers of Excellence, including Talent Acquisition, Employee Relations, Training, Compensation (Payroll), Benefits, M&T Commitment and Talent Management. Provide consultation in organizational effectiveness to business lines, specifically, thought leadership focused on talent management, diversity, restructuring, consolidations, outsourcing, and other human capital initiatives. As necessary, coordinate the various levels of HR support requirements in assigned business(es) below the senior level to ensure effective response to the broad spectrum of HR needs (e.g. HRDirect, HR Center of Excellence support etc.)
- Succession planning: Facilitate the Middle Management Talent Review to include the succession plan for middle managers in assigned business(es). Partner with senior managers to identify and advise on and support the development of high potentials (e.g. Columbia Leadership Development Program). Provide succession management tools and processes, including coaching, facilitation and providing feedback.
- Workforce Planning: Partner with business line leadership to diagnose and analyze current and future talent needs, including development of workforce planning tools, forecasts, attraction and retention strategies. Work to ensure that we have the “right people in the right positions”. Facilitate organizational change on complex change efforts, i.e. major efficiency and process/performance improvement projects. Advise on the right organizational structure to keep aligned the business demands. Follow through on individual restructuring efforts.
- Implement the senior manager on-boarding (process as occurring)
- Employee Engagement: Facilitate the delivery of Employee Engagement survey results. Co-develop and drive engagement initiatives. Facilitate/consult/participate in impact planning sessions as appropriate. Leverage turnover data to support engagement efforts and to develop actions plans to increase retention.
- Forecast, based on strategic business line objectives, requirements for college program participants.
- Manage career development of EA and MDP individuals in respective business(es).
- Collaborate with Campus Talent Acquisition Center of Excellence to assist in determining what the future business needs are for EA, RMSP, SDP and MDP
- Partner with business line leadership and Compensation Center of Excellence to drive annual merit/ planning processes ensuring consistency with compensation philosophy. Provide counsel on individual compensation recommendations, with a focus on pay for performance philosophy. Advise senior managers on how compensation and benefits serves as a tool in attracting and retaining talent.
- Collaborate with Compensation Center of Excellence to proactively manage compensation concerns and issues.
- Identify and collaborate with the Employee Relations Center of Excellence regarding all senior level employee relations issue(s) that emerge, and cooperate on strategy to resolve the issue, assist in any investigation, and serve as liaison between interested parties. Apprise senior leadership of relevant proceedings.
- Ensure the appropriate hand-off to the Employee Relations Center of Excellence occurs for mid and lower level employee issues.
- Advise corporate policy makers on local policy requirements not already covered in bank-wide policy and necessary for the good order and discipline of employees.
- Advise business line partners in the interpretation of HR Employee Relations policy matters.
- When necessary, communicate any interpretation questions to the Corporate Employee Relations Center of Excellence for resolution.
Talent Acquisition (Staffing/Recruiting)
- Partner with business line leadership and Talent Acquisition Center of Excellence on staffing plan, including analysis of talent needs.
- Ensure business hiring objectives and requirements are being met in a timely manner. Monitor and facilitate reporting (periodically) on recruiting action status. Manage necessary administration around recruiting and with responsible HR staff.
- Execute on-boarding process for assigned business lines.
Corporate Training (and Development)
- Based on business line strategic objectives, partner with Corporate Training Center of Excellence and business line leadership to assess and identify senior manager training needs and solutions, post training integration activities and effectiveness measures.
- Coordinate with the appropriate contact in the Corporate Training Center of Excellence to best support any unique business training needs.
Understand and adhere to the Company’s risk and regulatory standards, policies and controls in accordance with the Company’s Risk Appetite. Identify risk-related issues needing escalation to management.
Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the M&T Bank brand.
Maintain M&T internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators as applicable.
Complete other related duties as assigned.
Scope or Responsibilities:
Provide managers with proactive advice and real-time counsel in addressing performance management, compensation, training, sourcing and recruiting, employee relations and development and other key business initiatives. Participate in management and staff meetings with business-line customers. Participate in the development of strategic human resources initiatives and establish goals to meet the strategic initiatives of the business. Assist in executing business-driven people strategies, processes and policies. HR resource on the development, deployment and management of complex HR issues.
Develop, implement and champion action plans that advance short- and long-term business plans through effective leveraging of human resources.
Effectively build relationships with business line leaders and human resources partners.
Predict and diagnose business conditions, which may have underlying HR issues or ramifications and deliver creative pro-active solutions to the business line.
Build trust with managers and employees, manage deliverables and influence individuals.
Education and Experience Required:
Bachelor’s degree or four (4) years relevant experience. Masters and PHR/SPHR preferred.
Previous applicable Human Resources experience or completion of internal college program
Specific business line experience (as assigned) preferred
Operates in a fast pace, high change environment, with a heavy involvement in people projects
Talent Management certifications – Myers Briggs (to be obtained within 6 months)
Solid knowledge of MS Office and software used by department
Education and Experience Preferred:
Strong, leadership, interpersonal and facilitation skills
Excellent verbal, written, and presentation communication skills
Excellent problem solving skills to coordinate various HR functions and to respond to changes in the regulatory arena
Sound analytical abilities and judgment to recommend policies and procedures to conform with state and federal laws/regulations and to research HR policies and practices to achieve Bank’s goals.
Ability to interact and collaborate with all levels of personnel with tact and diplomacy
Strong negotiating skills. Ability to handle conflict from varying parties, up to and including senior management
Strong organizational and resource management skills
Travel throughout assigned territory and/or footprint required, as needed.
Preparation and delivery of annual performance appraisal and related documents
Proficiency with Excel is preferred
Wilmington, Delaware, United States of America