Forensic Scientist - 2nd shift (Tuesday - Saturday 2pm - 10:30pm) - Norristown, PA - Tuesday - Saturday 2:00pm - 10:30pm.
The Forensic Scientist I works within the Forensic Toxicology Laboratory and cooperates with and responds to direction from the Supervisor and/ or Group Lead on achieving work objectives including quality, accuracy and productivity. This position reports to and is managed and evaluated by the Department Supervisor. This position is responsible for all aspects of testing of donor specimens including specimen preparation and instrument operation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This position works within the Employer Solutions system. The incumbent is generally responsible for:
1. Maintain chain of custody of forensic specimens and follow approved sample handling procedures, when applicable.
2. Maintain competency in the following areas: follow all written procedures in departmental SOP, prepare and verify performance of all new reagents, ensure that all required calibrators and quality control samples are included in each batch, demonstrate good analytical technique with minimal errors, capable of performing routine maintenance of equipment utilized in area of responsibility, capable of applicable instrument operation for sample analysis (if applicable), capable of basic data review.
3. Maintain legible and complete documents.
4. Maintain clean and organized work area.
5. Perform and document checks of temperature dependent equipment.
6. Participate in completion of method and/or instrument validation studies to quality standards.
7. Participate in validation of new calibrators, controls and new or modified analytical procedures.
8. Maintain acceptable productivity & quality levels, and notify Supervisor and/or Group Lead of equipment or production problems.
9. Complete assigned continuing education activities and competency verification checks.
10. Follow the direction of the Supervisor and/or Group Lead and adhere to all company and department policies.
11. Complete all required quality control and quality assurance documentation related to job function.
12. Follow work schedule as defined by the Supervisor.
13. Maintain professional work environment.
14. Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
Bachelor degree with a major in Biology, Chemistry, Physical Science, or Medical Technology. Alternative major –Bachelor degree in other major with a minimum of sixteen (16) semester hours in Chemistry, which include at least six semester hours in inorganic chemistry and are acceptable towards a major in chemistry, sixteen (16) semester hours in Biology which are pertinent to the medical sciences and three (3) semester hours of Mathematics to meet New York State (NYS) requirements. Note, any alternative major must have college transcripts reviewed and approved prior to employment offer by QA department to ensure science education meets regulatory requirements.
• Minimum of one (1) year laboratory experience preferred
• Knowledge of methods and procedures used by the laboratory preferred
Physical and Mental:
• Ability to perform routine and repetitive motions, such as pipetting
• Ability to stand or sit for long periods of time
• Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
• General systems knowledge and data analysis