The Dispatch Manager is responsible for the successful execution of customer freight delivery and the daily oversite and management of drivers in one or multiple fleets. This is a leadership position that works in coordination with Fleet Managers and Fleet Planners and reports to the Operations Manager or the Terminal Manager, depending on the size of the operation. The Dispatch Manager will participate in; problem identification, solution recognition, and system implementation to improve areas that impact our drivers experience and the quality of our services. The Dispatch Manager will foster a culture that ensures their team works together in a way that supports the mission of the organization and is in alignment with our core values and beliefs.
Monday-Friday 1200- 2200
Indirect reports consisting of Professional Drivers.
- Maintain highest driver relationship and satisfaction of new and tenured drivers by:
- Auditing driver manifests for pay accuracy and workload balance
- Advocate for driver in relation to executable plans
- Effectively communicate policy changes, schedule changes, etc. to the fleet.
- Participate in driver mentoring and driver appreciation activities as prescribed by the Terminal Manager
- Complete a driver ride along Bi-annually and participate in pre-trip inspections with drivers on a regular basis.
- Coach and counsel drivers in the areas of; productivity, customer care and service, attendance, and company rules. Provide feedback to drivers Fleet Managers so they can develop driver performance improvement plans as needed.
- Confirm driver plans with drivers (Via Qualcomm and or phone) providing driver with any required information to complete the assignment including special load requirements (Hazmat, specialty equipment, etc.)
- Perform driver face to face check in of drivers, and correct verification of driver paper work against entries in TMW systems.
- Communicate with drivers and educate them on how to complete forms accurately and on time.
- Assist with data entry, scanning, indexing, and filing of driver payroll ensuring all records are submitted accurately and on time.
- Promote culture of safety in all daily activities by proactively address safety concerns by communicating safety goals and standards to all drivers, providing resources for safety concern resolution.
- Help ensure fleet is in compliance with DOT requirements for hours of service and driver fitness before dispatch. Assist in coordination of compliance activities including the scheduling of physicals and submission of required documentation.
- Data entry, scanning, indexing, and filing of accident reports, driver hours of service records, licenses, physicals, and other safety and compliance related documents ensuring all records are submitted accurately and on time.
- Sort and assemble customer paper work, bill of ladings, load diagrams, and other documentation required for freight shipment.
- Monitor driver progress throughout the shift to ensure on time dispatch and delivery of freight as planned, addressing and notifying the customer of any delays or issues.
- Address all customer needs and concerns as they arise during shift and escalating any customer issues requiring a higher level of involvement to the Operations Manager or Terminal Manager.
- Work closely with Fleet Managers and Customer Service Representatives to ensure proper documentation is received for all freight movements and provide customer support for requested back-up documentation.
- Assist with fleet planning and the creation of an executable freight delivery plan that meets the service requirements of our customer and ensure our revenue goals for each driver.
- Assist with securing backhauls for any non-dedicated freight lanes daily, by working with other departments as well as using DAT and booking freight.
- Assist with tracking, updating, and closing of loads using Total Mail and TMW systems to communicate with drivers and update freight movements. Notify fleet management of any discrepancies noted or missing documentation in the system for late deliveries, detention, or other accessorial charges
- Assist with planning for on time delivery to ensure customer goals are being met for service by providing fleet management with expectations and updated special load requirements as dictated by the customer.
- Effectively dispatch a fleet using proper procedures for real time management of freight and drivers ensuring high level of data accuracy within the system.
- Identify and communicate assessorial charges to be collected for detention, storage, rescheduled deliveries, lumper charges, etc. by properly documenting in TMW.
- Collect and inspect driver manifest and other necessary documentation necessary to pay the driver and invoice the customer upon the completion of each driver shift to include bill of ladings and lumper receipts.
- Review revenue per truck per day and perform quarterly fleet performance reviews with Terminal Manager and Operations Manager to identify areas of opportunity and develop improvement plan as needed to address deficiencies.
- Perform all general clerical duties such as answering phones, data entry, e-mail, scanning and indexing of documents, copying, filing and maintaining accurate records for driver payroll and billing.
- Maintain, track, and report appropriate equipment levels daily at all customer locations. Based on need requesting adjustments where necessary to ensure optimum equipment utilization.
- Perform periodic inspections of company equipment to identify unreported maintenance issues and accident damage. Participate in pre-trip inspections with drivers on a regular basis.
- Data entry, scanning, indexing, and filing of vehicle condition reports, driver daily vehicle inspections and other maintenance and asset related documents ensuring all records are submitted accurately and on time.
- Oversee one or multiple fleets of drivers ensuring all team members are properly trained in all aspects of their position. Coach where performance improvement is needed in accordance and notify Fleet Manager, Terminal Manager, or Operations Manager when there is a need for corrective action or formal performance improvement plans to address deficiencies.
- Collaborates with all frontline managers to learn the day-to-day business operations (i.e. Terminal Manager, Operations Manager, Fleet Planner, Fleet Manager, Terminal Administrative Clerk)
- Collaborates with all Support Teams and Management to facilitate day-to-day business support operations (i.e. Safety, Maintenance, Billing, Sales, Payroll, IT)
- This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- 2 years industry experience with 6 months fleet management experience preferred
- Computer applications experience and proficiency in Microsoft Office
- TMS experience desired. TMW preferred
- Working knowledge of DOT, OSHA and related safety regulations
- Excellent customer service, problem solving, and decision making skills
- Must be punctual and reliable with the ability to work off hours as dictated by the business
- Ability to develop a working knowledge of all terminal operation aspects
- Travel may be required as dictated by the customer/business
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, operate a computer keyboard, and speak on the telephone. Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds