NEW CASTLE COUNTY GOVERNMENT
invites applications for the position of:
DEPUTY SHERIFF - LIMITED TERM - (Pay Grade 19)
$38,485.00 - $59,706.00 Annually
10/12/21 11:59 PM
In accordance with the Merit System Rules and Regulations, an eligible list, which will be valid for a one-year period and which will be used to fill vacancies during that period, is being established for this classification. Applicants on the eligible list will be certified in accordance with the Merit System and appropriate union contracts. *This is a limited-term position ending 2027*
EXAMINATION PROCESS : The examination process for this posting may include an evaluation of training and experience, a written examination, a computerized exam, an oral board interview examination, a performance examination or any combination of the above in order to qualify applicants for placement on the eligible list. The eligible list will be used to fill vacancies that occur within the next year. The appropriate number of names on the eligible list as prescribed by Merit System Section 26.03.505 will be certified to the hiring department for consideration to fill the vacant position(s).
New employees are generally hired at the starting salary and may be eligible for merit increases each year upon receipt of a satisfactory performance evaluation, up to the maximum salary.
New Castle County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES : Performs civil legal service for various branches of the State and County Government; does related work as required. Deputy Sheriffs, in Delaware, are not law enforcement officers.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS : An employee in this class performs legal work serving civil and criminal processes such as writs, summonses, attachments, and subpoenas to citizens of New Castle County as directed by the various courts. A Deputy Sheriff receives general supervision from the Sheriff, Appointed Chief Deputy, and/or Chief Deputy Sheriff. This employee is required to exercise independent judgement and discretion in difficult or unusual situations.
EXAMPLES OF WORK : (Illustrative only)
- Serves civil and criminal processes;
- Posts notices of Sheriff's sales;
- Levies, replevins and impounds automobiles, household goods, appliances, equipment, merchandise, etc;
- Completes routine paperwork in accordance with assignments;
- Enforces Superior & Chancery Court ordered evictions;
- Confers with defendants, attorneys, judges, and police agencies when necessary;
- Promotes an ongoing attitude of dedication to excellent public service and ensures that external and internal customers are provided with the highest quality of service;
- Operates a personal computer and other related equipment in the course of the work;
- Operates a motor vehicle;
- May appear in court to testify as a witness as necessary;
- May attend training in law enforcement methods and procedures;
- May transport defendants and people with mental health concerns to jails, hospitals, and other jurisdictions.