This role is for a dynamic Financial /Operations professional, who has extensive experience operating globally with deep knowledge of the enterprise technology and ideally expanding a UK HQ into and across the US.
You will report directly to the CEO. This is an exciting key strategic role, where you will be responsible for creating a best-in-class finance and operations function, developing our controls, processes and being at the centrefold of our growth as we expand across Europe and into the USA.
You will be responsible for key forecasting and modelling. And on a control perspective; designing, implementing, and monitoring effective financial and operational strategies that align with our business goals. To be successful in this role, you should be highly professional and play a significant role shaping the company’s strategic planning. Funding and investor management will also be key.
The role also spans operations and as such you will oversee HR, legal and operations. This will help establish goal setting and accountability for the whole business.
- Fund raising and financial forecasting and control
- Deep operational, legal and HR experience
- Growth/scaling (e.g. 50 to 300 staff and £1m ARR to £20m ARR)
- Enterprise software
Nice to have
- UK/ USA expansion
- Similar or closely adjacent sector experience
- Relevant and impressive network
- High profile
- Reporting into the CEO, the role is to drive the financial health and operational excellence of the team and will have full ownership of Financial & Management Accounts, MI, forecasting and planning and all internal and external reporting.
- Direct ownership of finance (funding & finance operations) and direct ownership of business operations, HR and legal.
- Direct input into company strategy and operating plans and own the implementation of the business strategy, plans and procedures
- Be a key member on the executive team in fundraising strategy and execution. Owning modelling and manage investor relations
- Assisting the CEO in potential acquisition activities (1-3 years) and in IPO readiness (3-4 years)
- You will oversee, run and manage a high performing financial controlling, treasury, regulatory reporting & financial planning and analysis team
- Manage cash-flow and the cost-base to support growth within budget, as well as taking responsibility for our client money and custodian assets
- Own the comprehensive goals and KPI’s for performance and growth for the whole business. Analysis of key KPI's, determining company performance
- Identify, implement & lead efficient financial and operational processes, in order to achieve sustainable growth
- Oversee & ensure the production of year end consolidated accounts & financial statements
- Work with the existing commercial team to build a repeatable and predictable sales processes
- Reporting: Provide regular and insightful management information, forecasts, analysis and commentary to the CEO and Board.
- Operationalise management and executive functions
Expected short-term results (first year)
- Enable a business case to raise a series A+ round of $15 million at a new valuation of £45M+ (up from £18.5M post money)
- Ensure existing clients and next portfolio of marquee clients cross effectively and both land and expand in an optimal way
- Review the current pipelines and sales plans in depth, to put into place any support required to close and fulfil them as quickly and effectively as possible
- Ensure an effective depth of business data is available to the CEO and to add rigor and KPIs across the business for the CEO
- Implement rigorous pipeline management and forecasting processes to enable precision around reporting
- Work closely with the product and commercial teams to enable perfect alignment between the product roadmap and go-to-market strategy to ensure the successful on boarding and an expansion of new clients
Expected longer-term results (1-3 years)
- To help ensure Company’s growth path which gives clear evidence of a £250M+ valuation by end of 2023
- Help ensure an incredible growth narrative (client velocity, client calibre, geo) and help create powerful barriers
- Ensure the teams are working cohesively, working on a common strategy (set by the CEO and COO), ensuring the team has visibility of this all the time
- Identify and recruit key senior hires globally as and when the business becomes fully funded
- Working within an early-stage environment with limited budgets
- Experience in success around selling unbranded software, with early ROIs, and secure expanding contracts across the world’s largest firms
- Impressive IQ and EQ in understanding product, innovation, clients and company growth plans.
- Ability to fit in quickly, get up to speed with and ‘get the best out of’ the existing team within Company. Able to pull people together without disrupting the existing culture or slowing things down
- Ability to work with and support the CEO to create clear commercial focus and company plans in situations where there are multiple potential clients with multiple potential uses and requirements for the product and its future roadmap
- You are an accomplished Finance Director or CFO, with at least 5 years of experience in leading a Finance operation, preferably within a technology scale-up environment but not limited to
- Start-up DNA
- You will be a qualified accountant (ACA Big 4 experience preferred).
- Experience in fundraising
- You have operated across multiple geographies with extensive experience of operating in the USA
- Extensive experience managing teams
- Your leadership style is empathetic, approachable and candid and you are able to build strong relationships with other senior stakeholders and work collaboratively across the business
- You have prior experience taking a business through an exit, IPO or M&A activity this would be desirable
- Proven experience as Chief Operating Office or relevant role
- Demonstrable competency in strategic planning and business development
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Working knowledge of IT/business infrastructure and MS Office
- Outstanding organisational and leadership abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills
- Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving