POSITION SUMMARY: Elwyn's Manager of Benefits oversees and administers employee benefits, including but not limited to health and welfare plans, as well as pension and 403(b) plans, across all Elwyn entities and provides special guidance and assistance to all locations on various employee benefit plans, as needed. The Benefits Manager supervises the day-to-day activities of the benefits coordinators.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversees the day-to-day benefit support for both operational needs and employee questions related to all employee benefit plans across all Elwyn entities
- Identifies trends and recommends solutions to improve employee benefit plan services, offerings, and outcomes
- Works directly with brokers, carriers, and plan administrators for routine and ad hoc issues and progress
- Ensures compliance with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) for all Elwyn entities, including but not limited to being the point period on the Human Resources Management System (HRMS) system's PPACA module, researching and approving the Benefit Status Determination Reports on a monthly basis, and ensuring accuracy of PPACA Annual Notices by auditing employee forms 1095-C prior to printing and distribution
- Oversees adherence to healthcare COBRA regulations by the company's outsourced COBRA and Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) Administrator
- Assures company compliance with provisions of Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and the PPACA
- Supervises preparation of reports and applications required by law to be filed with federal and state agencies, such as Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Department of Labor (DOL), state insurance commissions, and other regulatory agencies. Reviews and analyzes changes to state and federal laws pertaining to benefits and reports necessary or suggested changes to management. Coordinates company benefits with government-sponsored programs
- Monitors welfare plan documentation, i.e., Plan Documents, Summary Plan Documents (SPDs), Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBCs), Summary Annual Report (SAR), annual notices as required by ERISA, as well as all other communications (print and online), and recommends changes when necessary
- Oversees the ongoing administration of all benefit plans, including but not limited to adherence of plans to regulations, troubleshoots when there are interpretation differences, ensures Evidence of Insurability (EOI) process is in place for annual enrollment / life events, identifies trends, and makes recommendations for plan design changes
- Manages the review, approval, and processing of hardship withdrawals, loan requests, and rollovers in 403(b) plans, as well as pension calculations and distribution requests in the pension plans -- including but not limited to plan administration, plan amendments / restatements and compliance corrective steps, as needed. Coordinates the annual compliance testing, auditing of plans and Form 5500 filings.
- Ensures the monthly audit and reconciliation of insurance bills (between carriers and Benefit Administrator); understands insurance benefit plans eligibility requirements; reports insurance costs by tracking bills, including but not limited to calculating retroactive payments owed / refunds due employees for late enrollment, and reviewing the biweekly payroll / deduction reports
- Manages annual enrollment process for the organization across all entities, including but not limited to programming and testing of the employee benefit enrollment portal, communication, enrollment auditing, and coordination with all plan administrators (healthcare, life insurance, disability, COBRA, FSA, etc.) and internal team
- Prepares special benefits reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends
- Surveys industry and/or community, in coordination with brokers, as needed, to determine company's competitive position in employee benefits
- Develops, recommends, and implements approved, new, or modified employee benefits plans and policies
- Oversees and provides expert guidance on all types of company and statutory leaves. Maintains superior knowledge of leave rules and compliance
- Administers Elwyn's Wellness Program, including but not limited to chairing the Wellness Committee; conducting ongoing work / research sessions of the committee sub-groups; working with vendors on Wellness aspects; and researching, communicating, and implementing Wellness initiatives resulting in improving the overall health of Elwyn employees
- Researches data feeds, identifies issues, and corrects data disconnects between automated systems using various benefit data systems and applications
- Develops content and coordinates printing and distribution of benefits information that communicates and educates the employee population on benefit plan offerings and options
- Designs and publishes Annual Benefit Statements for employees
- Provides assistance to operations and operational leadership on their questions and concerns about benefits and proper processes
- Remains current with new benefit laws and issues
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies
- Coordinates the benefit renewal process for all Elwyn entities though usage of our various brokers of record, including but not limited to review of entity-specific benefit plan options , new processes and carriers, enrollment and programming logistics to support decisions, and implementation of same
- Performs trend analysis reviews in order to recommend changes to benefits and plans and coordinates process
- Provides supervision of assigned staff in the areas including, but not limited to, recruitment, selection, leadership, coaching, training, performance management, promotion, discipline and termination
- Works with, understands, and complies with terms and conditions of collective bargaining agreements (CBA) within a unionized environment as it pertains to employee benefit plans
- Performs other duties as assigned
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Executive Director of Benefits, Compensation, and HR Operations
DIRECT REPORTS: Benefits Coordinators
CONTACTS: Elwyn staff, vendors, insurance representatives, legal counsel, and others, as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in human resource management, business administration, or related field and seven (7) years of experience with demonstrated increasing responsibility in the analysis, development, implementation, and management of a full portfolio of benefits plans, OR any appropriate combination of education and directly-relevant experience with demonstrated increasing responsibility in the analysis, development, implementation, and management of a full portfolio of benefit plan
- Three (3) years supervisory experience
- Professional benefit certification including but not limited to Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS), International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans, or World at Work strongly preferred
- Knowledge and hands-on experience using automated systems including but not limited to carrier website portals, third party benefit administration system, Share File (to share confidential files), PPACA, FSA, COBRA modules -- and auditing data to ensure accuracy across applications (Technology Driven)
- Knowledge of FSAs, healthcare savings accounts, healthcare reimbursement accounts, health and welfare plans, group insurance, and benefit laws and regulations
- Demonstrated ability to collect, analyze, and summarize benefits data and identify trends in employee benefit offerings to recommend solutions to improve employee benefit plan services, offerings, and outcomes
- Demonstrated working knowledge of all local, state, and federal benefit plan laws and regulations, including but not limited to ERISA, PPACA, COBRA, etc.
- Strong working knowledge of statutory local, state, and federal leave ordinances, laws, and regulations
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement, and administer a full range of employee benefit plans, with the ability to develop benefit plan documentation including but not limited to employee communications, SARs, Annual Employee Benefit Statements, Annual Open Enrollment, and other collateral employee benefit plan materials
- Demonstrated working knowledge and ability to work effectively with 403(b) / pension vendors on areas including but not limited to annual audits, compliance testing, sample selection data, Form 5500 filing
- Previous experience working with collective bargaining agreement terms and conditions as it relates to benefits administration preferred
- Non-profit human service experience highly preferred
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage and prioritize multiple, often competing, priorities
- Demonstrated strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated strong time management and organizational skills
- Demonstrated excellent judgment with the ability to independently solve problems and make decisions with little or no need for direct supervision
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate future needed changes or identify problem areas and take effective actions
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Must possess excellent customer interaction, collaboration, presentation, and written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated intermediate experience with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint; and report-writer experience preferred
- Strong analytical and financial review skills
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ENVIRONMENTAL PROFILE: See Physical Demands Checklist below which represents the general physical demands and environment conditions to which the employee holding this position must meet, in addition to the duties and responsibilities listed above, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Elwyn will engage otherwise qualified candidates for this position whose disabilities may require reasonable accommodations to enable an individual to perform the essential functions.
Elwyn reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as needed. This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive statement of duties and responsibilities of the job nor does it constitute a written or implied contract.
Elwyn is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Elwyn does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, pregnancy status, medical condition, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, sexual orientation or identity, age, national origin, citizenship, handicap status, marital or family status, mental or physical disability, perceived disability, military or veteran status, political activities or affiliations, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law, ordinance, or regulation.