Job no: 492904
Work type: Full-time
Widener University is currently seeking a full-time Assistant Director of Transportation Reporting to the Executive Director of Campus Safety, the Assistant Director supervises all personnel assigned as van and shuttle drivers of the Office of Transportation. This position leads the function for all student, employee, and guest transportation requests.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
* Provides strategic leadership and direction to the newly created Office of Transportation staff including staffing, scheduling, planning and execution of transportation guidelines and functionality.
* Supervises and evaluates department staff to achieve departmental objectives.
* Oversees vehicle registration process, vehicle maintenance schedule, and EZ-Pass registration for approximately 40 University vehicles.
* Coordinates the University's partnership with Enterprise Fleet Management for vehicle acquisition, disposal, fuel management and scheduled maintenance.
* Coordinates the operations of student, employee, and guest transportation including bus inspections, routing, driver training, and other related programs to ensure safe and efficient operations.
* Supervises the athletics transportation schedule via the University's registration system (25Live).
* Evaluates inclement weather and emergency conditions to make recommendations regarding shuttle usage.
* Develops, implements, and monitors policies and procedures related to the student transportation program.
* Designs and develops on and off-campus shuttle routes, event transportation requests, and educational/site service transportation requests.
* Responds to customer service inquiries for transportation services.
* Oversees the creation, implementation, and evaluation of bus schedules and routes for the University shuttle service to improve operational efficiency.
* Prepares and manages the Office of Transportations annual operating budget and monitors all expenditures related to transportation.
* Administers transportation services provided by private contractors and provides oversight and accountability to school bus contractors.
* Creates, implements and evaluates University's driver certification program.
* Leads and actively engages in effective and timely communications with key stakeholders.
* Monitors roadways and parking lot areas for potential hazards to vehicle and passengers.
* Monitors rider logs to gather data for optimal utilization.
* Performs other duties as assigned
* Assist with University athletic/special events.
* Interact with local and state police officials at times.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education/training and experience required):
* High School Diploma or equivalent
* Clean valid Driver's License and evidence of insurability
* Five (5) years of experience in the field of transportation and/or school management.
* Three (3) years in a progressively responsible supervisory role.
* Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
* Ability to effectively communicate within all levels of the organization, including briefing executive management on the status of transportation issues
* Technology oriented
* Must successfully pass a criminal background check to include the PA Criminal PA Child Abuse and FBI clearance
* Scheduling experience
* Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
* Bachelor's degree, or higher, from an accredited college or university in business management, logistics or other related field.
* Knowledge of the University reservation system (25Live)
* Able to work various hours and/or days
* Experience in higher education
* Knowledge of PENNDOT laws and requirements and University regulations and procedures.
* Fleet management experience
* Experience in transportation scheduling and planning
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
* The ability to walk for extended periods of time.
* Flexibility to work additional shifts as needed or required
* The ability to walk up and down steps both inside and outside of buildings.
* The ability to walk outdoors in your assigned area in all types of weather conditions.
* The ability to stand and/or sit for extended periods of time both inside and outside of buildings.
* The ability to lift objects weighing up to 35 lbs.
Qualified candidates must submit resume and cover letter for consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those selected to interview will be contacted.
Widener University is committed to fostering an inclusive community in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing equal educational and employment opportunities for all persons without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, disability, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or status as a protected veteran.
Widener University requires all prospective employees to provide proof of being fully vaccinated (including booster) against COVID-19 prior to employment or apply and be approved for a medical/religious exemption. Offers may be rescinded if new employee does not provide proof of being fully vaccinated in a timely manner.
Some positions may be eligible for a hybrid or remote work arrangement that may include a partially or fully remote work location, consistent with Widener's Flexible Work policy.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.
Advertised: 16 Aug 2022 Eastern Daylight Time